|

Info Needed on the Lighthouses of the UK, France, Norway and

A forum to discuss lighthouses in Canada, Australia, Europe and Asia.

Postby wheland » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:48 pm

Esther and I are taking a cruise this July and we will be making stops in England (Dover), France (La Havre- actually probably Paris), Ireland (Dublin & Cork), Scotland (Greenock- Glasgow), Northern Ireland (Belfast), Norway (Geiranger,Olden and Bergen) and Denmark (Copenhagen).

I'm doing some research on things to do in these ports and checking out the shore excursions on the ship. the only one that speciffically mentions a Lighthouse is one while in Belfast to the Ards Peninsular area with a stop in the town of Donaghadee where there is a Lighthouse.

Long story short- I won't be doing all Lighthouses all the time but I'd like anyone who has been to any of these areas and can help me with identifying some Lighthosues not too far from the port area of each of those stops that might be doable via a cab or car rental, etc.

I appreciate any assistance anyone can give to me in this. It will help tremendously with the time consuming mounds of info to go through on my own.

I have to balance the trip- some Lighthouses, some Al Stewart friends from the internet, some Poco friends from the internet and if I have the time actually see some of Europe. :D

Thanks in advance.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:50 pm

Sounds like a great trip Dennis. As a first stop on the net you could check out Trinity house plus the Northern Lighthouse Board of Scotland and the Irish Lighthouse Board. Maria's just been to Scotland so she may be able to help.
You could also email Fred on the Isle of Man in case he doesn't see your post.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby wheland » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:16 pm

Kevin,

I'm going for the easy way here first- getting info from people who have been there and done that.

I'll dive into the mounds of info from various sources after I try this.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Maria » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:20 pm

Dennis,

I was actually on the other side of Scotland, but I will dig out my UK roadmap and give you some names of lights in the area. I know there are a couple of pier lights right in Glasgow. Because the coast is so rocky, there are a lot of lighthouses in Scotland, and I assume Ireland too. I found a couple I wasn't even looking for without trying at all.

8)

Maria
Maria
Head Keeper

Postby Optics » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:32 am

Dennis,

Very near the port of Dover is the Dover Castle and on its grounds is a Roman lighthouse that is very old (1800 years?).

In Dublin is the Howth Baily Lighthouse at the entrance to the harbor.

As you travel up the river Clyde on the way to Greenock you will pass the Cloch Point Lighthouse very near Greenock.

All of these lighthouses are car accessable. At the Dover Castle you have to pay for entry and then walk to the lighthouse.
Thomas A. Tag

Optics
1st Assistant Keeper

Return to Canadian, Australian, and Int'l Lighthouses