|

No Dollars for Peggy's Cove

A forum to discuss lighthouses in Canada, Australia, Europe and Asia.

Postby Grover1 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:47 am

Editorial .. from The Calgary Herald

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Travel/Lig ... story.html
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby wheland » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:14 am

They make some very valid points in that editorial.

I imagine if all those "tourist" merchants put as much effort into complaining that the government isn't coming through to raising the money themselves- while at the same time making the government the bad guy- the money could be raised toute suite.

We're not talking a humongous sum of money here.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby LighthouseNews » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:38 am

From the article:

Looking to government to solve every problem just ends up making victims of everyone. It is surely within the power of the local community that benefits so largely from the beauty of the lighthouse to band together, buy some paint, and restore the lighthouse's appearance through their own efforts.

Right. And create more problems than by having it done correctly. You cannot just slap a coat of paint on this, as NoahG points out very correctly in another post in this thread. Not only Ft. Gratiot, but Pemaquid Point Lighthouse is another example. Well meaning volunteers "slapped a coat of paint on it," and created more problems which ultimately led to a $150,000 restoration.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:35 am

From "Rick's Rants" on the Halifax News Net

All it took was a little public pressure and of course some televised embarrassment, but the Peggy's Cove lighthouse will get a make-over and soon. Last week the Department of Fisheries and Oceans said it couldn't afford the $25,000 cost of a lighthouse fix-up. The iconic lighthouse, a major tourist draw and one of the most photographed scenes in all of Canada, is in a sad state. Paint is peeling, concrete is crumbling and rust spots dot the structure. One the news hit the public airwaves, things began to happen. Defence Minister Peter MacKay's taking credit for getting the ball rolling. He's also the minister for ACOA where there's always plenty of cash to go around. Some of that money will be used to spruce up the lighthouse. Now if we could only get MacKay interested in the many other crumbling lighthouses that dot Nova Scotia's coast, disappearing landmarks of a long ago way of life.

The unrelated rants ... the entire column ... http://www.halifaxnewsnet.ca/index.cfm? ... 762&sc=612
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Grover1 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:02 am

Scheduled ... sort of ... from CBC.ca

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/st ... paint.html
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Grover1 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:06 pm

Painting has begun ... from CBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/st ... paint.html
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:16 am

Looking at the Story Comments, It appears there is some local sentiment against the painting project on the Lighthouse.....

“This place way overrated. Not much appeal at all. You pay $5 for parking which is ridiculous to see the waves crash against some flat stones. Do you know how many places are like this elsewhere in the Atlantic Provinces? As for the lighthouse, there are thousands of them around. It didn't need painting at all........"(Posted by AFancy)

There are some other posts in the same vein......I would say, first of all, everyone is entitled to their own opinion....But I will also say that I find these comments disturbing, and a little bit sobering, coming from local area people who consider their light nothing more than a tourist trap...

By the way, there is a neat replica of Peggy's Cove Light off I-68 in Western Maryland.......
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby wheland » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:46 am

CHUCKX53 wrote:Looking at the Story Comments, It appears there is some local sentiment against the painting project on the Lighthouse.....

“This place way overrated. Not much appeal at all. You pay $5 for parking which is ridiculous to see the waves crash against some flat stones. Do you know how many places are like this elsewhere in the Atlantic Provinces? As for the lighthouse, there are thousands of them around. It didn't need painting at all........"(Posted by AFancy)

There are some other posts in the same vein......I would say, first of all, everyone is entitled to their own opinion....But I will also say that I find these comments disturbing, and a little bit sobering, coming from local area people who consider their light nothing more than a tourist trap...

By the way, there is a neat replica of Peggy's Cove Light off I-68 in Western Maryland.......

Chuck,

Two points-

1. Given your - and my- predisposition towards lighthouses it's hard to have an objective view of others who have a less positive view of lighthouses- and Peggy's Cove in particular. If I look at it from as objective a view as I can mange I can partially see the point that it's just a "tourist trap" and that the money could be spent better elsewhere. I tend to disagree with this sentiment even taking an objective view- any money spent on keeping the "tourist trap" bringing in the tourist dollar is probably well spent.

2. Any idea why there is a replica of Peggy's cove in Western MD?

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:32 am

The replica is part of a church complex, I believe called "The Lighthouse Church", on the South side of I-68, to the best of my recollection, at Exit 19, at State Road 495, near the town of Grantsville -- After the exit, go a short ways on SR 495, turn onto North Park Road, and at the church, climb a short STEEP hill (I was driving a big desel U-haul - another story), to a rather large parking area behind the church......

We were able to talk to the Pastor & his wife at the time (this was 2000), and were told that they had built the light to the orginal plans of the Peggy's Cove Light....It appeared to be poured concrite....and said he felt "compelled by God" to erect a Lighthouse at this spot....

You can see this light at night for several miles on I-68, for it exibits a fixed green light, plus sitting on top of that hill....It is strange to see a light in this mountain area, but kinda nifty......Sort of the last place you would ever expect...

Last time we were through there (2005), the light was still there & shining........
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby LighthouseNews » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:29 pm

wheland wrote:any money spent on keeping the "tourist trap" bringing in the tourist dollar is probably well spent.

As much as we up here in Maine whine and complain about tourist season, a good portion of our economy depends on it. And this is why I agree with Dennis. It's not only the lighthouse that benefits from the tourists, it's the hotels, restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, etc. in the area that also gain from the money those "darn pesky tourists" bring in.

I say, if it brings 'em in, keep 'em coming in and take advantage of it!
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby rocky5128 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:06 pm

I work in downtown Chicago and 1 1/2 blocks from one of the biggest tourist traps out there. (The Sears, soon to be called the Willis Tower #-o ) Tourism is very big here, so I know that it brings in a lot of money for the city, county and state. Especially since it is 11 1/2% tax on everything. I know that if it wasn't for all of the visitors we would be taxed a lot more than we are. I think of tourists as a great extra income for the city, they spend money on almost everything. We don't have a tourist season, but we do get a lot of laughs knowing which ones are the tourists because they are always looking up :lol:

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:50 am

... you knew this was next ... from The Chronicle Herald

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1132455.html

(Photo/Tim Krochak)
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:15 am

It appears this story has generated more reader comments (I counted 62) than any of the previous stories about getting the Light painted in the first place -- And the tone seems generally positive, at least to me,in getting the work done now, at the right time of the year....

As Terry mentioned before, as in the case of Wind Point, there is only a narrow window of time that a Lighthouse that is exposed to the elements can be successfully repaired & repainted....

As for the tourists, well....we've all been there, Eh ?
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:47 am

Cape Light shafted? ... From The Shelbourne County Coast Guard

http://www.novanewsnow.com/article-3583 ... paint.html

(Photo/Nova News)
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby wheland » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:51 am

You can't please all of the people all of the time- so you've just got to please yourself.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Canadian, Australian, and Int'l Lighthouses