|

Round Island St Mary's River Michigan

A forum to discuss lighthouse collectibles such as replicas, postcards, historical photos, etc. Due to their popularity, Harbor Lights replicas have a separate forum that can be found below.

Postby rnpam42 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:05 pm

How/where can I find out IF there is a photograph/small history of Lighthouse keepers and their families?
I'd like to add this info to my Family Tree in ANcestory.com as one of my grandfathers was a Lighthouse keeper
here until he retired.
Thanks,
Pamela (Clune) Fucci
formerly of Traverse City, Michigan
rnpam42@yahoo.com
rnpam42
Visitor

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:17 am

Hi Pam,

I live in Australia so I'm not in the area of your question but I suggest you start your search by having a wander around Russ Rowlett's lighthouse site which has heaps of references. His Michigan pages start here:-

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/miup.htm

Good Luck
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:46 pm

IF there is a photograph/small history of Lighthouse keepers and their families?
To the best of my knowledge there is no such information with only a few exceptions relating to a very few keepers of specific lighthouses and the source of which was often from family records, obituaries, census records, or sometimes rarely a local newspaper story. Regarding this specific lighthouse that was only operational for about 30 years (1892-1923) and then went into private ownership it is unlikely a detailed history was developed by any of the three different owners unless an owner was specifically interested in the history and to the extent to search for specific biographical information about the keepers.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:01 am

Pam, there is also this web site:-

http://www.terrypepper.com/lights/huron ... /index.htm

Terry is an administrator here on this forum so he'll probably catch up with your post sometime.

There's also a list of keepers here:-

http://www.terrypepper.com/lights/huron ... eepers.htm
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:21 am

Kevin,

The links you posted are for Round Island (Mackinac Straights). Round Island St. Mary's River is a different light.

Terry does not have a page for St. Mary's but he might have info on St. Mary's not posted on his site and Phyllis Tag (Tom Tag) may also have a keeper listing.

The current owner might have keeper information. His contact addresses are included on this page.
http://www.roundislandlighthouse.com/contact.htm

David
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:28 am

All I can say Dave is that it's all very confusing.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:29 pm

Very confusing. There are (or were) two Round Island lights on this 70+ mile long river. The lower Round Island is the subject light. The upper Round Island is located many miles north at the river headwaters west of Soo Locks. This upper light was discontinued in 1886 and all that remains are the ruins of the stone tower.

St. Mary's River is the international waterway between Lake Superior and Lake Huron with about 10,000 vessel passages per year, some are ore carriers about 1000 feet long.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:31 am

Thanks for the info Dave.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Return to General Lighthouse Collectibles