|

Western LI Sound Lights

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby shirin » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:10 am

For a near mid-week treat, I had the opportunity to check out some of the Western Long Island Sound lights of Connecticut. After years of waiting for someone with a boat to finally get the idea to start chartering lighthouse trips for Western CT, I finally found Barry Natale of http://www.soundnavigation.com and last night along with a soon to be new NELL recruit from the Hartford, CT area we went out to see a few lights in lower Fairfield County.

First up was the Stamford Harbor light.

Then it was off to Greenwich for a view of Great Captain's Island. These first two lights were my main focus for this trip as I had never seen either one before.

It was then back East to Norwalk for a view of the 3 lights in my town.

First up was Greens Ledge

We finished up the evening with Sheffield Island and Peck Ledge but those photos remain to be uploaded until this evening. Not bad for a day that started out with a few hours of jury duty in Stamford
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby AL » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:34 am

Very nice. I had spoken with him about three weeks ago and intended on going on one of his trips but got sidelined with some surgery. Thanks for posting. Now I'll be sure to book a trip with him. Did he stop for an hour at the Captains Cove for lunch? I was wondering if he would knock off that stop and Tongue Point at add Stratford Shoal in its place.

How many people were on the boat?
AL
New Jersey
AL
Inspector

Postby shirin » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:41 am

There were just four of us last night and on a smaller boat than would usually be used for the lighthouse tours. We went out at 5pm so no stop for a meal. But, Barry has some great ideas for a variety of trips and yes, other lights like Tongue Point and Stratford Shoal are in the works. I too need to get out to Stratford Shoal so I'm hoping he can work that into a trip soon. Forgot to mention earlier that Barry is a former captain for the boat that takes visitors from Norwalk over to the Sheffield Island lighthouse. He also does charters and he seems like he's really interested in working with lighthouse nuts so definitely look into it! I definitely got some good ideas for possible NELL outings too.
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby wheland » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:54 am

shirin wrote:There were just four of us last night and on a smaller boat than would usually be used for the lighthouse tours. We went out at 5pm so no stop for a meal. But, Barry has some great ideas for a variety of trips and yes, other lights like Tongue Point and Stratford Shoal are in the works. I too need to get out to Stratford Shoal so I'm hoping he can work that into a trip soon. Forgot to mention earlier that Barry is a former captain for the boat that takes visitors from Norwalk over to the Sheffield Island lighthouse. He also does charters and he seems like he's really interested in working with lighthouse nuts so definitely look into it! I definitely got some good ideas for possible NELL outings too.

Shirin,

Sounds great- just as long as the NELL outing you have in mind is not the Hot Chocolate, Lighthouses and You trip. :lol:

Keep us informed- I'd like to get out on this type of boat- especially after this weekend when I take the sunbeam Cruise.

Dennis
Last edited by wheland on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
wheland
Inspector

Postby shirin » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:27 am

Oh goodness no - not Hot Chocolate on an open boat in january on the sound. We are nuts in NELL but not that nuts. Plus, with a capacity of around 20 people, that won't quite work out well with the numbers Hot Chocolate draws.
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby wheland » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:21 am

Shirin,

I was of course kidding- but after the last two NELL adventures you might want to consider it for Extreme Lighthousing Adventures. :lol:

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:09 am

Shirin,

Thanks for sharing ...

It would seem two alternatives would be in the offing ...

Either these proposed charters be expanded so that more can share in what you had the pleasure of doing ...

or ...

NELL might need a new member in order to participate ...

Hmm ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby shirin » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:13 am

Barry - NELL could ALWAYS use more members!

I would think that a cruise from this company would lend itself more to just a group of NELL members getting together to go out versus trying to incorporate it into an official NELL meeting/trip weekend. I'm still playing around with ideas but of course I'll have to run it by the NELL board as well.
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Zachary » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:14 am

Nice pics, the first 2 could use a fresh coat of paint
Zachary
Head Keeper

Postby shirin » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:55 pm

A couple more for you - another view of Greens Ledge and Sheffield Island on our return trip to Stamford

Still owe ya at least one of Peck Ledge
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby beachbum1616 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:01 pm

I like those, espeically the first and second ones.

Keep them coming!
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby shirin » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:36 am

More photos of the already posted lights. Not in any particular order this morning and the last two are the before promised Peck Ledge Light of Norwalk.

shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:07 pm

Wow, Shirin, I really love that last set!! Thanks. :D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:43 pm

I just looked at this thread for the first time and wow, what a group of images !!!! Looks like a great trip.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby beachbum1616 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:52 pm

I agree with Hersh! This is a great collection of images!
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Next

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports