|

STONY POINT , NY

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby AL » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:18 pm

Made it back to Stony Point, NY today in hopes of seeing some color. Not much color yet but the clouds were great.

The approach to the oldest light on the Hudson River

The climb to the lantern is almost straight up and narrow

The 5th order lens has the bulls eye removed, by order of the Coast Guard, to limit the lights range

The lens has only two glass sides, the other two are copper

A nice view from the lantern of the Hudson River. Notice the thick bullet proof panels protecting the lens.

Another view of the river

And the tower standing out with the clouds behind it
AL
New Jersey
AL
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:29 pm

AL,

The second and the third from the bottom are the best of a really good selecton ... first one's not bad, either

Thanks for sharing

Barry
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby shirin » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:42 am

Oooh....looking like the tower could use a nice new paint job. I've not been there in a few years so it is nice to "revisit" thanks to you AL.
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby mombo » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:20 am

I really, really like these photos Al! Good thing you went to that Stony Point Lighthouse and not the one near me. No rain today, yet, but no good sky either. I've yet to make it to the Hudson's Stony Point so appreciate these shots.

Shirin, I guess you are the lighthouse painter in this group. So you will have to bring your bucket and brush next visit. It seems that the worst parts are lower down so only bring your short ladder, lol! :)
mombo
Head Keeper

Postby Ross » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:14 am

:!: :!: :!:
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby shirin » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:38 am

Uh oh Sue. Looks like Paint Boy didn't like that one! 8O

Stony Point is just a little over an hour's drive from my place in CT. I'd happily go and paint any time! And you can help too Paint Boy. :D

Al, you wouldn't happen to know if they are doing the Thanksgiving Day open house at Stony Point again this year would you?
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby AL » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:36 pm

I don't know about the Thanksgiving Day open house. As far as I learned, this coming weekend is the close of the season. It was my third trip to this LH and the first time I was able to gain access to the interior.

The LH in my opinion is not in need of a paint job. Just a good scrubbing to get the moss off the North side. The inside was in good shape with the exception of a minor water leak in the lantern that was dripping to the top landing. If this is not addressed before the freezing temperatures arrive it will surely cause some damage to the wood floor.
AL
New Jersey
AL
Inspector

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:03 pm

Picture-perfect shots, Al! Thanks for brightening my day. :D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports