|

Is there anything in the Burlington Main Lighthouse?

A forum to discuss lighthouses in Canada, Australia, Europe and Asia.

Postby MontaukPoint » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:16 pm

I visited it on the weekend :D (my local light) and saw what looked like the outline of something in the lantern room. Does anyone know if the latern is still in the tower or what else it could be?

Also does anyone know the owner of the site and if there are any restoration plans for it?

-Alan Bot
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby mombo » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:23 pm

Was there in August of '02. Can't tell from this photo what's in there but there could be something?

I talked with one of the bridge operators and he said that the local MP wanted to do something, perhaps open the keepers house as a small museum.

As far as the lighthouse goes, since it was replaced by the light at the end of the pier it seems to just sit there.

This article from Lighthouse Digest mentions a Bay Area Restoration Council but the article is from Nov. '02 so if things are still in the same condition it must be nothing's going on which is too bad as it's a great looking lighthouse.

http://www.lighthousedepot.com/Digest/S ... ryKey=1476

It's pretty neat too when the bridge goes up!
mombo
Head Keeper

Postby MontaukPoint » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:54 pm

Same as what I saw, I wonder if the lift bridge operators would know anything about what's up there. I have some pictures that I will post soon.

-Alan
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby Spartel » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:52 am

An organization called the Beach Canal Lighthouse Group was formed a few years ago. For information, see http://www.inform.hamilton.ca/details.a ... &Number=19

MF
Spartel
Visitor

Postby mombo » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:49 am

Here's some good news about the Burlington Lighthouse!

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/ ... #canalmain
mombo
Head Keeper

Postby MontaukPoint » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:56 pm

Hi,

I was having troubles logging in and posting but the problems but it works now :D! I am now a member of the Beach Canal Lighthouse Group and upon looking at images on the forum section of their website I found that before the clean up operation started they removed the lens, it was in there since it was abandonned. Once the restoration gets underway I will be glad to post pictures and give updates on the work.

-Alan
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Return to Canadian, Australian, and Int'l Lighthouses