|

On the Way to NELL's Hot Chocolate Last Week -Lots of Photos

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby vacastle » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:23 am

There were a lot of lighthousing opportunities on the way to meet the gang at Eastham for NELL's LHHC&Y weekend.

Especially fun was my first venture into Rhode Island, so starting there...

Point Judith
I think I fell in love here with yet another lighthouse. My parents claimed they named me for the actress Judy Garland. Wonder if I could change that?

The active Coast Guard Station at Point Judith

The back view of the CG station. The Coasties were having lunch...cheeseburgers on the grill! I lightened this one up a bit just so you could better see the Coasties (at work). :wink:

Put on your sunglasses...this was facing the sun, but I liked the way it shows the orientation of all the buildings at Pt. Judith

One more Pt. Judith lighthouse view...I really like this place!

More from this trip coming...
Judy
Last edited by vacastle on Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby rocky5128 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:31 am

That is one of my favorite East Coast lighthouses. I was there last July and it was a very hot summer day. The fog started to roll in as we were walking around but it did not stop me from walking around to see as much of the light as I could.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby bert911 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:45 am

Judy ~

Great shots! Thanks for posting.

Robert
bert911
Assistant Inspector

Postby epona » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:19 am

For those of you on board that do not already know Point Judith is my favorite lighthouse. I love this lighthouse and miss her very much. I have not seen her in person in over two years. Thank you Judy for posting these pictures.

Judy did you drive up to see Beavertail Lighthouse??? This is another favorite but more for the location than the lighthouse.

Carole AKA Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby vacastle » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:56 am

Post #2 in Rhode Island... Here you go, Carole.

We visited 13 of Rhode Island's lights in two days on this trip before heading into MA. Watch Hill was actually the first RI light on our stop before Point Judith...

After leaving Point Judith, we headed for Beavertail. Here, the wind had kicked up, and it was bitter cold...gloves, earmuffs, etc. required.

And a closer look at Beavertail's tower

More coming in a bit...
Judy
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby rocky5128 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:58 pm

I am jealous. :mrgreen: I really need to get out and see some lighthouses , but something always seems to come up lately. :cry: Please post some more pictures, I need a lighthouse fix right about now, as I am sure a lot do.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:42 pm

Figures we would see Point Judith first ... :wink:

Nice shots ... especially of the Coast Guard Station ... also like the one rear shot of Beavertail ... the closer one ... thanks for sharing them
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby epona » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:19 am

Judy

Thank you, thank you for the wonderful photo's. I used to drive over a 100 miles one way just to spend time in RI for a few hours. I do miss RI.

I admit that I have not found lighthouses I love as much as the ones in RI. I think this is in part due to the fact that has much has I like Wood Island Lighthouse the only way I can see it at a distance most of the year.

Most of the lighthouses in this part of Maine are on little islands. Is it me or is there something magical about getting and being up close to and being able to touch a lighthouse. The other major thing is I never paid attention to the tides and how this impacts my experence in view a lighthouse. I am positive that many are very aware of this but I was not.

The flip side of this is I am 5 1/2 miles from my apartment to one of my favorite beaches Hills Beach in Biddeford (a great place to walk at low tide) - if I drive over to the Pool I mean Biddeford Pool I can see Wood Island from many locations.

Judy thank you again for posting these photos.

Carole AKA Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby beachbum1616 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:55 am

Judy,

That first shot of Point Judith ROCKS :!: I love the way the colors in the sky contrast with the green grass and the colors of the building.

Thanks for sharing!
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby vacastle » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:38 pm

Thanks for all your comments. :D

Crossing the bridge into the Newport area...

Goat Island, also known as Newport Harbor LH sits close to the foot of the bridge.

It's easily accessible through the Hyatt hotel property...

Rose Island can also be seen from this area. This is one I sure would like to get up close & personal with. Anyone here had the good fortune to stay at this lighthouse?

Another one in the nearby area is Ida Lewis. You can only get so close because it's now part of a private club.

The storyboard near the entrance shows the lady herself...

And chasing the last light of the day, we stopped at Castle Hill. Whoah, was it cold here or what! But what a pretty light!

More coming later,

Judy :)
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby Red » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:19 am

Judy,
Your pictures are bringing back alot of memories of the trip my wife and I took on our honeymoon up to Rhode Island. We also loved the Lights in that area of the country. We had the pleasure of spending the night on Rose Island which was an absolute treat. We also got to meet Joe and his dog Wiggins. We were fortunate enough to have the lower level to ourselves, which made the experience even better. The evening we spent there, we saw alot of boat traffic including the Schonner America which was sailing at top speed around the Newpot Harbor, what a trill to see such a beautiful sailing vessel at sunset. Thank you for bringing back such great memeries. RED
Red
Keeper

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports