|

Bumpy boat ride

Just got back from a lighthouse trip? Have you just finished photographing every aspect of one lighthouse? Post the pictures here! Lighthouse-related photos are also welcome.

Postby Hersh » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:33 pm

Last Friday I took the day off from work so that I could take my boat and get some water level lighthousing in. I had hoped to view the Indiana lights around Gary and East Chicago, but the wave forecast told me that the waves would be kicking up around there, so I decided to try Grand Haven and Holland instead. I almost didn't launch at Grand Haven due to the high winds, but I tempted fate and went for it. (The fact that I had already fed the meter $7 to launch helped my decision making)

The waves were so bad in the channel I was afraid I'd swamp the boat, so I got this far before turning around and putting it back on the trailer.

At Holland, I again decided to launch in spite of the wind and waves, and I was actually able to get out past the lighthouse twice. I didn't dare sit too long, but I was able to get a few good shots before retiring back into Lake Macatawa to fish for a while.

All in all it was a good day (better than working) but I wish I'd have been able to do more photography and less piloting to avoid imminent sinking.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:49 pm

Nice stuff at Holland, Hersh. The second image from the water really shows the way that Big Red leans toward the channel.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:23 am

Very nice, Mike! A bit choppy there at Grand Haven, to say the least.

I really like the Holland shots. I've never seen quite that perspective before, and I definitely like these!!

Thanks for sharing. :D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:55 pm

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to take my boat out to a number of lights this year before the fall storm season kicks up. I'm especially wanting to get to the Indiana lights like I mentioned. Hopefully I'll make it out and have some more shots to share.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:20 pm

Mike ...

Always a fan of windows, when I was there I was especially enamored withthe pair of tryptich-like almost church-like ones on the inlet side ...

Any closeups?
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Return to Lighthouse Photo Reports