|

Another Nordic Finn lighthouse update

A forum to discuss lighthouses on the West Coast Region of the US
(California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii)

Postby Hersh » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:05 pm

Our friend Boats sent me a few more photos to post, and I have elected to put them in a new thread due to the size of the old one. I won't do the narration here, I'll let the man himself tell us what we've got here. On with the photos....

Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby boats » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:29 pm

Thanks Mike, well this is a very high shot of the lighthouse, I took from the lift I'm using to paint. So I took it up 40 feet and shot the picture. There will be more high shots as I paint, how ever I just got "RAINED OUT". And it got cooler, 56f and more rain tonight. The other photo is one of our small carriers :roll: I did take a day off last week and went to Seattle. Sept 9th is closing on us fast, this will be the 4th Anniverasry for Eternal Sea Point Memorial Lighthouse, time sure flys . More updates as I go. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby TWolfe » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:21 pm

Boats, it's looking good. From that angle with nothing in the photo to get perspective, you can't tell how tall it really is.

Everything looks nice and green. Must be all the rain you get out there

What's the pile of dirt in the background for?
TWolfe
Keeper

Postby Hersh » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:42 pm

Boats sent me a couple more, here they be.

Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby boats » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:43 pm

I yes come in from the dark, Tammy the dirt mound in for the 35 foot lighthouse (Freedom Point Memorial Lighthouse) , two foot high in the front and 30 inch in the back. 18x18 ft, about 15 yds of dirt. Haa yes my back hurts, I used my small Bobcat to move all that dirt. In the one shot I'm putting the top back on. the other shot yes I'm working in the rain. And Thanks again Mike. Now I go to work in the shop for the rest of the night. =)) Coffee coffee and more coffee, may be some sawdust Ya Sure."Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:32 am

Mike it was a good idea to start a new topic on this topic.

Boats it is great to see all the hard work you are doing. It cannot be easy being a lighthouse builder, lighthouse keeper and lets not for get about all of the those Honey to Do Lists.

Mike thank you for posting Boats pictures.

Boats go slow on drinking too much coffee. I am sure everything is going to ship shape for Sept. 9th.

Carole
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:38 pm

You know Carole, coffee to me is like oil to an engine, it keeps me running. If I didn't have this lighthouse to maintain I'd be back out too sea missing all this hard fun =)) .. short one Qt of coffee today. I look forward to this each year now, its like home coming week if Ya may. How many folks do you know that have this kind of fun, :roll: .. Don't answer that. You people may think I took a long walk on a short pier, think I did once !. I ask Mike to add more photos for me tonight "AGAIN".. Well I got alot done today, still have another dock to build on the back side of the jetty this week. In fact I'll be working right up to the last day on less my wife trips my anchor and you know that might stop me "SOME". There will be lots of pictures on the 9th and I'll get them too Ya folks as soon as I can. Take two days off and get ready for next year, how fun is that. Well .. My bunk is calling. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:46 am

Boats,

It is wonderful that you build these wonderful structures. I can see that you spent many, many hour of long hard work on them. Also one has to consider the money that this is costing you to do this - it cannot be cheap to do this. The cost of the materials and other items that you need must run to a tidy sum of money.

I think you must get some fun and enjoyment out this huge undertaking.

Boats you must have a super understanding wife.

As always it is great to see a posting from you.

Carole Aka Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Hersh » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:59 am

Here's a great batch of shots I got from Boats this morning.

Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby boats » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:50 pm

Ooo is the "Boats" blowing his own fog horn, Hell yes. My wife took the last pictures. Good Shots MOM.. Thanks Again Mike. We or just about done with all the work. By brother and his wife our flying out from New Jersey on Friday and I'm told there will some Coast Guard folks on site Sunday Sept 9th. And your right Carole, I put out a few coins to make this the best year so far, just over $6000. But thats once every four years I hope. Next year will be even better as the 35 foot lighthouse will be in the picture. Now I know to most of you folks there is alot more in life then building what I have, but I'm having the time of my life doing it. Some folks came by this morning and told us that we put Seabeck on the map, like to see what map there looking at. :roll: .. So stand by. There will be lots of pictures taken on the 9th and I will send them out after the Anniverary is over. Then I'm taken a few days off to visit with my Brother and his wife. Then on Sept 17th back to work getting ready for Christmas set up and next years Anniverary. See how much fun we're having =)) .. Got No Place To Go And I'm No Hurry Too Get There. :D Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:04 pm

Back to normal here at Eternal Sea Point Memorial Lighthouse, The Anniversary went well, folks enjoyed the day and the weather did great too. Now its time to get ready for Christmas and plan for next year. I took a week off as my brother and his wife stayed ontill last night, I put them on a plane back to New Jersey on the red eye flight. We did get around and away from the home front, I even took in a lighthouse visit, how about that, yes I took photos. If you want to see them, let me know. Summer is over as we all know, so stay safe for the winter oncoming. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:09 am

Congratulations on another anniversary, Boats! It's always great to see your latest photos, and thanks so much to Mike for the posts on this thread!

I hope you enjoyed your "vacation", Boats. I know you don't take much time off from your lighthouse building duties, so this break was well-deserved!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby boats » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:35 am

Leah, I just might take more time off before Christmas :roll: .. We have rain this week end so its all shop work this week end, what a deal. I'll see if Mike will post some more photos for us. Show you the lighthouse we visited and a few more. I need to learn how to post photos on the site, don't want to wear Mike out. Wow.. four years now, Can't wait to get the other lighthouse out of my shop. Its growing in there, over a ton now. The new weather station is up and running and I will have a web site for that soon so you folks can see or weather. Now and then we get a car load of folks like yesterday. The lady wanted to know how we got it up here and where did it come from =)) when I told her she said "Okay" and they drve away then came back with second car load of folks. Ya see how much fun we're having :D .. When you see one photo I will send Mike, you'll know why. Take Care. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:02 pm

Well I know you folks have better things to do then read my Pup-Deck Updates, but here is more. I just today got done with the other pier on the back side of Eternal Sea Point Memorial Lighthouse, 16 feet long X 35 inches wide. Now I will add the mast and yard boom at the end of the pier and the new weather station mast. If the rain ever stops. Still more rock work yet to do under the new pier. Hay we have snow about to hit all the passes from 3500 feet and up, winter is here in the north west. In about a week I will start with the Christmas lights going on the lighthouse. And the 35 foot lighthouse work is on going at a slow bell. Well that's it for now. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:19 pm

Well the weather has made a change here, as of last night we have 2 inches of rain and will get another 2 by 1800 this eve. The temp is in the mid 40s for a high and in the 30s at night. Snow is not far off this year. It may be the same for the east coast as well this year, so get ready for a hard winter and be safe. :D "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Next

Return to West Coast Lighthouses