|

Another Nordic Finn lighthouse update

A forum to discuss lighthouses on the West Coast Region of the US
(California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii)

Postby boats » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:04 am

Well this is my 4th try at making a reply, wind snow storm on us for round seven, power off and back on again. We have 4 inches of the white stuff so far tonight and its a white out. I shot this picture an hour ago, not going out any more tonight. There two more snow storms in back of this one, all have our Zip Code. over 25 foot of snow up in the mountains so far. But we love it here. "Boats"..Image
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:27 am

Boats thank you for posting this picture. Thanks to your posting I have a better understanding of weather out your way. Maine as been hit hard this year with snow, rain, snow, snow and more snow. In Maine it depends on which part of the state you live in if you are going to have rain or snow. I am sure this is true in Washington State as well.

Here on the coast of Maine we had cold nasty rain yesterday. Last night it snowed again. What I am really understanding this winter is that snow comes in many, many different forms. I also now understand why people go to Florida or Arizona or some place warm and SUNNY during the winter months.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Tybeeisland48 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:31 pm

Boats,
What talent, and then it's topped off with a touch of Mother Nature!
I can see a Christmas card or a page on a Calendar from this.....you should be proud.
Pam
Tybeeisland48
Keeper

Postby boats » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:14 am

Pam, the Calendar idea is what my wife keeps telling me to do and maybe now we will. As for a Christmas card idea, yes we have one up each year. Seems like I have shot more pictures of this lighthouse then my kids, which is true. I have shot next years card all ready, and here it is. However I might get a better one during the year, but for now this is my back up. This winter has been hard on us this year and my hopes of getting the 35 foot lighthouse up will be a maybe. Takes a lot of power to heat the shop, so to save money my shop is down for another month. Too much snow this year, way more then normal for us. "Boats"..Image
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:40 am

I am going to second Pam on the calendar idea.

Boats you said you have gotten more snow than normal this year what does that mean?

I really feel for you not being able to be working in your shop. What a TOTAL Bummer for you!!!

Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:43 pm

Update... All work has been put on hold for the new 35 foot lighthouse, the coast of wood and items needed to finnish the lighthouse has just got too high. Heating the shop is way to much money for now. So I shut down. Fuel over here is coming up to $3.70, by summer it will be at $4.00. I'm sure most of you folks feel the high coast every place you go. But I will keep doing some work on the light. Will let you know, the other thing is I was very sick with that new Flu that is going around, was in the Hosp two times but I'm on the up side of it now. And we have another snow storm pounding up the coast tonight, calling for 3 to 7 inches of snow by 2100 tonight. :roll: I'll let Ya know.. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:02 pm

Boats,

It was so sad to read that you had to be hospitalized twice. Nasty for you and your family.

It must really, really bit to not to go into your workshop. I will be sending good thoughts that everything will improve for you. Soon!

I really do understand about the high cost of basic items. For me it comes down to making choices about how to spend what limited money I have. It is not not easy to have to stop doing things you love doing. The flip side of this is my monthly bills get paid.

In Maine the amount a person spends on of food and gas for the car is much higher than other places on the East Coast. Part of what we have in Maine is a Governor and State Legislature that love to spend, spend, spend. So the taxes here for everything are very high. Maine is a wonderful place to live but their are down sides.

I am sure that Boats that overall living in Washington State is wonderful. So, Boats keep your spirits up. Drink lots of coffee if you are allowed to. Spring is coming, Spring is coming, the snow storms will stop. Right.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:08 pm

Spring, what the hell is that, 8O .. If your suppose to get snow with it then Spring is here, 4 to 6 inches of it. But I did read something about Summer :-@ the folks living next to us read the same thing, rain snow mix.. =)) Yes I'm on the mend, slow at that. The cold weather has been a real big problem this year, it got in me bones, there for a time I could hear them say get the oil can out "Boss".. Then to top it off, and get this. (I stop smoking a month ago) Folks on eather side of me could hear me go off like the noon cannon over little things, and I did it cold iron mates. Well I'm over the hump and working the down hill side of that problem, food is different, water is like drinking iron tea, coffee is better now. The hole deal is a major refit to my life, smoke like an old steam ship for over 50 years. Now I've gone NUK !!!!! my pack a day has gone the other way. I had no idea I was going to stop when I did, it just happened with out any plan it happened, slam-bam thank you stop.. Mam.. And I feel better, think better, eat more, now that can be a problem, food, never had much time for it before. Okay with all that said, I will be normal again. Don't remember when I was normal the first time, this will be some trip down normal creek a mates.. :whistle: "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:10 am

Boats,

Congratulations on your No longer Smoking. Good job to do this. Now, just think of all the money you are saving by not smoking.

Boats, I am going to agree with you "What Spring" it is snowing already here outside of Portland ME. The weather reports say that this area will only get a inch or two at most.

Once Summer comes and you are feeling more ship shape I am sure you will be fast at work at your lighthouse building.

Thank you for keeping us updated on what is going in your life.

Carole AKA Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:08 am

Thank you Carole, now as for being normal again, had to look that up. I got a new computer, got all the bells, horns, what nots and a few other things, big LED montor so I can see things, like pictures. Weather is still a problem here, the big lighthouse is on hold, snowing a little right now, time is 2235L or 0635UTC. The most bad ass winter we've had in some 32 years as said by the local weather station reported. And I know it will be a short summer this year, I see not many folks posting, whats up with that. I go back to the doctor next Monday to find out if I can go back out side to work. How sick was I, all four boilers were down, up on three I think now, steam coming up too super steam soon. I bent my rudder too, got that repaired. Just need to get out of this dame drydock, boy I'm way behind in my work. Well now Ya know the old man in the North/West is still kicking. Where did I put my coffee mug. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:56 pm

Rain and more rain, just rain all this week and mouth too. Over an inch in the last 8 hours. Yep The Bosts is still around, or like my son will say, my Dad is round. :roll: But I know the rest of the country is having some bad weather as well. The grounds or very green and looking real good. Lighthouse is holhing up Okay. The big 35 ft lighthouse is still on hold. And I just want to say Hi. "HI".. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:47 pm

With all the rain, have you thought about building a lightship? :)
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:00 pm

As a matter of Fact, a ship is in the planning and your now the first to ask. and our high today was 48f, rain 1.48 today, we have "SNOW" coming in tonight for all passes, a cold front is moving in as I type this, Its 44f right now here at the lighhouse. What the Hell Month is this?? #-o "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby rocky5128 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:05 pm

It is nice to hear from you. I would gladly take 44f over the 88f with 100% humidity here today.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby boats » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:29 pm

Well Kathy, there is alot of room over here on the left coast as you folks say it, we say right coast. Normal for us is about a week of 90sf temps a summer then we stay cool from then on. We should have had that by now, except this year will be a very cool summer with a lot of rain and some not needed snow of couse. Oh and its 40f right now at 2130. So come on out, the weather is fine if you like rain, and by the way. We rust, not tan. :D "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Lighthouses