|

Protecting New Point Comfort Light

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the Southeast US and the Gulf Coast
(North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas)

Moderator: beachbum1616

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:18 pm

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:38 pm

Article Quote : "That's just to protect it so it doesn't wash away," Whiteway said. "It's holding its own, but we are concerned."

Wasn't the final message from the EDMUND FITZGERALD "We Are Holding Our Own" ?

Article Quote: It is the 10th-oldest lighthouse still standing in the U.S., according to county research.

This is the 10th oldest light in the U.S. (1805) and it's NOT a National Historic Landmark ??

Article Quote : It turns out to be quite a move from the state to the national significance," Soles said. "There's a lot of forms and a lot of stuff to fill out, including maps and pictures."

We all know what a maze of Fed nightmare paperwork that will be :!: I will give lots of Kudos to this group for stepping up and attempting to save this endangered light -- It's good to know someone cares -- And will wish them every succuess. :yay:
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby LighthouseNews » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:34 am

That is the most confusing piece of reporting that I've seen in a week. :evil:

The light station is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. And has been since 1972, according to the Coast Guard. And according to the story itself:

The lighthouse made it onto the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, and three years later Mathews acquired it.

So it goes on to read further:

The New Point Comfort Lighthouse Preservation Task Force, working in conjunction with the county, is filing paperwork to upgrade the lighthouse's historic status from statewide to national significance.

????
It's already a national historic site. So, why are they filing? Is there something I'm missing?

Perhaps they meant the opposite way? I'm just too confused by reading this.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:59 am

So, I stand corrected...or do I ??

So it IS a National Historic Landmark....or isn't it ??

MY BRAIN IS MELTING..... ](*,)
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby ericlighthouse » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:28 pm

According to my research it was on the state list June 20, 1972 and the National list March 1, 1973.

Maybe someone forgot to tell them???
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Return to Southeast & Gulf Coast Lighthouses