|

There IS Paint for Wind Point Light

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:02 pm

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:35 pm

On our way to the Apostles a couple of years ago, we made a side trip to Wind Point on a perfectly marvelous day only to find the tower encased in scaffolding & dropcloths, and there went that opportunity for good shots that day.......

So this is a "re-do", the first wasn't done properly ?

If so, Is this "re-paint" free ?..... :wink:
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Terry_Pepper » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:12 pm

Chuck,

All lighthouse stewards in the vicinity of the 45th parallel are finding that painted masonry towers and dwellings are a real problem.

Back in the days when full time lighthouse keepers were tending the lights, they whitewashed the towers virtually every year to increase their effectiveness as a daymark. It turns out that the short-term life of whitewash is one of its strongest points. It is merely a thin coating which sits on the surface of the brick, allowing air to permeate the substrate, allowing the inevitable moisture in the substrate to evaporate. The fact that it washed off every year allowed for maximum air penetration.

Unfortunately, virtually all modern paints (or coatings as they are more correctly termed) are plastic based, and serve to seal moisture into the brick, allowing trapped water to freeze and thaw, thereby causing the brick to flake and the paint to peel. As a result, stewards are finding they have to re-coat every couple of years at major expense.

About three years ago, GLLKA replaced around 2,000 bricks in the tower at St. Helena because of the application of an improper coating in the past. The tower was then primed and coated with approved materials, and the coating is already flaking and bubbling, and bricks are again starting to spall. The cost of this restoration was well in excess of $100,000, and was an undertaking what we believed would be a durable repair! Take a look at virtually any masonry tower on the Great Lakes, and you will see the same problem - with the exception of Little Sable Point and the new Presque Isle lights, which do not suffer these problems for obvious reasons.

A long-term solution is still being sought, and will likely consist of a combination of improved automatic ventilation systems and a different coating technologies and methodologies which will allow the masonry to breathe adequately.

Stay tuned.

As far as arriving at a lighthouse and considering it unfortunate when restoration work is underway, I must admit that I look at things a little differently.

Personally, I consider myself fortunate when I have the opportunity to visit a lighthouse that is under restoration, as it provides a unique opportunity to photograph history in the making, as opposed to taking another "pretty lighthouse photo." Pretty lighthouse photos are a dime a dozen - historic photos are few and far between.

Today's historians would give their eye teeth to get their hands on any photos of maintenance being undertaken on the lights in the 1800's and 1900's. Imagine how future generations of historians and lighthouse aficionados will relish the opportunity to see such photos. I only wish I could have had the opportunity to be in Racine to shoot the lighthouse while the work was underway so the shots could be archived for posterity.

The GLLKA Lake Superior excursion passed Gull Rock last year while the initial phase of the restoration was underway. There was scaffolding on the chimney, a porta-potty, dumpsters & a small shack serving as living quarters on the island. What a unique moment in time - what a story - and what a unique opportunity. While a number of the folks on the cruise voiced their disappointment that the maintenance equipment ruined their shots, I felt incredibly fortunate to have the rare opportunity to come away with photos like the one below which document the unfolding history of the station.

I guess it's all a matter of personal perspective!

If anyone is fortunate enough to visit lighthouses on the Great Lakes while they are under restoration, please consider shooting some photos and sending them to GLLKA, so we can archive them for future generations. It would be greatly appreciated.
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby Grover1 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:08 pm

Terry ...

I would only temper the personal view of viewing "restoration in progress" with the thought of how far one's traveled to observe and what are the chances of a return when restoration is complete ... If Sandy Hook is wrapped in scaffolding, well, I can return in a month and see the completed work ... If OMP had been wrapped in 2002, if I couldnt have seen White River or either of the Sable lights ... If Point aux Barques or Tawas Point or 40 Mile Point were off limits at the time of my adventure I would be the poorer person today because of what I couldnt see and because I knew there was no imminent return ...

Many times necessary? For sure ... Would I have reacted well? Not so sure ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Terry_Pepper » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:19 pm

It's a matter of personal perspective on what one feels represents beauty, and what constitutes a "good" shot.

I have been researching and photographing lighthouses of the Western Great Lakes since 1992. It took me 16 years until I finally had the opportunity to photograph Gull Rock for myself.

Oh sure, a photo with no construction debris would have been nice - perfect lighting and a wave-free sea, with the lighthouse reflected in the water would have made for a nice snap, but I truly consider myself honored to have been able to be there when such noble work was being undertaken by the Gull Rock Lighthouse Keepers Association - for it is only through their unselfish dedication that the light stands a chance of being around for as yet unborn generations to enjoy.

It also gives me a good reason to return in another 16 years to photograph the lighthouse looking the way it used to when the work is complete. If the fates allow me to last that long!
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director

Seeing The Light

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:25 am

I lean more towards the "Sentinels Of The Sea" type photos -- And that means, no people or other extraneous "junk" in the shot, just the Lonely Lighthouse standing firm against the forces of time and nature.......

However, from an historical prespective, Terry, you make a compelling point, with a lot of merit....One that I certianly hadn't considered........To me, those are just "junk" shots, that I would just delete out, never thinking that anybody would want to see THAT.....

But I do have a whole bunch of these -- Chequamegon Point, from 2007......
Attachments
chequamegon side.jpg
chequamegon side.jpg (73.57 KiB) Viewed 4454 times
chequamegon rear.jpg
chequamegon rear.jpg (79.38 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
chequamegon.jpg
chequamegon.jpg (76.43 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby NoahG » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:08 am

Awesome shots Chuck, I'd forgotten all about the restoration and never even heard if they had started work.
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:02 am

I would guess that the work should be done by now -- Although haven't seen any shots of the finished work...... :mrgreen:
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Terry_Pepper » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:23 pm

Great shots Chuck. Could you post some of Wind Point while the work was underway?
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director

Seeing The Light

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Terry, I didn't stop to take any -- nearly the whole tower was shrouded with the dropcloths -- and we were on a tight schedule, having made a 15 mile detour to go there -- I didn't even get out of the car, remember, I'm thinking who would want to see this stuff -- Now that you have put a historical prespective on it, I would most certianly stop & shoot if I had "do-overs" --- Since it's going to be done again, prehaps someone could get up there to get some pics of the work in progress -- Maybe Noah, It's just a hop & a skip down from Milwaukee where he's at.....

I've got more of the Chequamegon shots, if you'd like to have them to archive, I can E-mail them up to the GLLKA site.......
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby TenofHearts12 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:25 pm

Here you go from Aug 2007 :-)

"Your never too old to do goofy stuff" (Ward Cleaver, Leave It To Beaver)
TenofHearts12
Keeper

Postby Terry_Pepper » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:01 am

Thanks for the photos of the tower repair underway at Wind Point.
Here are some more repair photos I have taken over the past week.

First when the GLLKA Lake Superior Excursion stopped at the Ontonagon Lighthouse on Sunday
July 12, we were happy to see that the MLAP grant funded tuck pointing and spalled brick replacement
at the lighthouse was well underway.....

As we cruised by Sand Island later that day, scaffolding in front of the building served witness
to the fact that work is underway at the Sand Island lighthouse. When I last toured the Sand
Island light in 2002, all the woodwork was painted dark green. As seen in this photo, all the
woodwork has now been repainted white, which according to 1910-era postcards, was the
correct color....

Finally, while narrating a Shepler's eastbound lighthouse cruise in the Straits of Mackinac on
Saturday July 18, it was great to see that the Coast Guard contract for refurbishing the exterior
of the Round Island Passage light is finally underway. It has been sad watching the ongoing
deterioration of this structure.

Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director

Seeing The Light

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby CHUCKX53 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:28 am

Stopping at Wind Point on the 23rd, I spoke with the Caretaker, and was told that the scaffolding was to go up "Next Week", and repainting would commence soon after....

So, that would be......Today ??

If anyone is in the area, they could stop & check it out......
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:31 am

"This re-painting is a new, warranty-covered paint job" ... From The Journal Times

http://www.journaltimes.com/news/local/ ... 002e0.html

(No Photo Credit)
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby paulafrank1213 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:45 pm

In mid October, I'm gonna go to Subic once again and see and smell the aroma of beach. I think that will be our first out of town. And it gets me excited. :)
paulafrank1213
Visitor

Next

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses