|

Wardius, Penrose & Pepper

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby Grover1 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:30 am

In no particular order of magnitude (this alignment just sounded better), these sources will be my guides from October 19 thru October 23 as I fly west and head north. Thru the benefits of Chase Rewards I have airfare and car rental covered ... gas, food and shelter I need to cover but that wont be an issue ...

I have but two hard goals ... to be at Newark Liberty Airport for a 6am departure on the 19th and to be at OHare for a 920pm return on the 23rd ... that gives me almost five full days to explore ... acutally four, as it will take a whole lot of time to drive back down to Chicago ...

The Penrose books got me around both the Eastern Great Lakes and lower Michigan ... They will now briefly guide me into the UP. In 2002, prior to my Michigan trip, I found Terry's website and was in amazed gratitude for the information included. He was also kind enough to answer a few questions ... Ken Wardius' book on Wisconsin lights was a purchase I made after my trip to Michigan in anticipation of doing this expedition far sooner. I feel in good hands a month out.

I am soliciting all advice, comments, thoughts and assistance from any volunteers ... your help will be appreciated
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby rocky5128 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:06 am

Are you going straight north or are you going up along the lake thru Door County? All around Chicago is going under construction on the tollways :roll: . Bring your EZ-Pass, it will save you a lot in tolls, in time and money.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:18 am

First stop will be to see the Chicago Harbor Light from the Navy Pier ... then a stop in Evanston, the pier light in Waukegan, then straight up the Wisconsin coast ... Eyeballing it yesterday, though not actually plotting it, even taking minimal time at the various pier lights, it'll take the better part of two days to make it up and thru Door County ...

While I will have a path, I will not use a clock ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby rocky5128 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:44 am

Navy Pier parking is extremely expensive. After you leave N.P. drive straight up 41 (Lake Shore Drive) to where it ends. Follow Sheridan Road up into Evanston, if you are there close to the hour, there is a tour that allows you to climb to the top. You have to sit thru the tour, but worth it. It is $5, not sure if it is open in October though. Skip Waukegan light. It is not worth it, most people will agree with me. You might want to take 41 North into Wisconsin. I-94 is under construction and is usually a mess. Wisconsin is under construction for the first 6 miles. The rest of the way into Door County is very good. I was just up there last weekend, you might get lucky with fall colors. I am going to NiagaraFalls that weekend, otherwise I would meet up with you.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby Terry_Pepper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:10 am

Barry, If you come back south by way of Mackinaw City, stop by the GLLKA office. If I am in the office that day, I would love to meet you. We are located on North Huron in Mackinaw City - right across the street from Old Mackinac Point.
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby Hersh » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:54 am

I'd definitely skip Waukegan unless you have a real completionist streak you must satisfy. I spent no more than 4 minutes outside my car and I was gone, never to return.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Terry_Pepper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:45 am

I am sure the folks in Waukegan will love reading this testimonial to the rich history and beauty of their fair port city :lol: :lol:
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director

Seeing The Light

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:33 pm

Considering it’s history, I have made several stops at Waukegan light over the years, and never considered it a waste of time…It is an easy walk out to the light, and I always picture in my mind, the whole of the structure that stood there before the 1967 fire…..The stop, and walk, will take at least an hour or two, But better to see the light than regret later on that you were there and missed it…..

I assume that next, you will go to the 2 Kenosha lights, very easy access, then on to Racine…Their “big Red”, don’t forget to spot the former Harbor light, the building with the small integral square tower topped with a hipped roof (that one I wish could have it's Lantern restored), The small Racine Reef light is scheduled for removal, you will be able to see it from shore….

After that, Wind Point…By then their second paint job should be finished….And on to Milwaukee, the Pier light and Breakwater….North Point, newly redone, looks great…Was there last month myself and got some great photos….

The books won’t tell you, but to get to Kevich Light, take exit 92 from I-43, east on Ulao Rd. then North (left) at the “T” on Lake Shore Rd. about a quarter-mile…It can be seen from the road, and zoomed for photos….

On to Port Washington, the Art Deco on the Breakwater, and the old light, Restored just a few years ago….Then Sheboygan, headless but interesting….Manitowac, best shots from the opposite Breakwater…Then Two Rivers... Out to Rawley Point at Point Beach State Park..(Tell them at the entry that you are just there to see the light, they will give you an hour pass -- Cheaper)…Easy access.

Then Keweunee, twin to Holland in Michigan….Algoma, a neat stacked light….Up to Sturgeon Bay, the Ship Channel and North Pier light….On to Bailey’s Harbor and the range lights, Cana Island (walk across the causeway), Eagle Bluff, Sherwood Point, and maybe Pottawatomie (that would take the better part of the day to get out to and back…Quite a walk, uphill after you dock)….

That’s a lot of lights, Barry….You might be able to get to all those 4 days and back…More, and you would probably be rushing things too much….I can tell you this, for I have been up and down the Wisconsin coast many, many times…Sounds like a dream trip, and I wish you good weather….
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Hersh » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:52 pm

Perhaps my experience in Waukegan was more memorable than the lighthouse itself. I was in the Chicago area taking a 5 day course at Northwestern for work, so I was driving an unmarked white Ford Taurus with red / blue lights inside. An obvious police car, to be sure. When I pulled into the lot it was like one of those old western movies where the cowboy walks into the rowdy bar and everything stops in an instant and you can hear crickets chirping. There were several hundred people out there, and it seemed like just about all of them were intently staring at me, wondering what I was doing there. Not exactly a pleasant side trip.

But hey, that's just me...
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:02 pm

First hypothetical ...

Starting Monday morning, winding your way north, you find yourself finished in Escanaba noonish on Wednesday ... you have until sundown Thursday before heading southward ... which way would you heading? Or do you make a directional decision before Escanaba ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Terry_Pepper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:39 pm

Barry,

Where you say "you have until sundown Thursday before heading southward," where do you need to end up after you begin heading southward on Thursday Sundown, and what time do you have to be there? I know this whole area like the back of my hand, and in my early days lighthouse photography and research trips I used to plan my trips down to 15 minute accuracy. I still have many of those notes, and could probably offer some decent advice if you can be a little more specific. Also, it would help to know your style - I used to drive like a bat out of Hell, stay on the move until around 11:00 PM and then hit the road at dawn. Such a pace may not be your cup of tea.

Let me know.

Terry
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director

Seeing The Light

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby Terry_Pepper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:43 pm

:lol: an obviously "unmarked" car - a big guy guy with a shaved head and a camera and a bulge on his ankle - God only knows what the Waukegan "elite" thought you were up to. :lol:
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director

Seeing The Light

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby Hersh » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:16 pm

Actually Terry, I still had some hair then, I was probably wearing a ball cap and my heater would have been on my hip (under the shirt)... But the point stands. :D
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby rocky5128 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:26 pm

I think it was the creepyness factor for me. There were a lot of scary looking people out there. If I do it again I will make sure I have my scary looking dog with me. I thought I was going to get mugged for my camera and then thrown in the lake. 8O
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby rocky5128 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:39 pm

Straight Thru back to Chicago is 6-8 hours from the UP. That would be taking 51 down to 94, I think it depends on how you drive. I like to drive straight thru things, stopping only for gas on my way home from trips.

I just realized the 19th is a Monday, I might be able to meet up with you by Navy Pier. When do you land in Chicago, I am assuming O Hare airport for your arrival.
Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Next

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses