|

Locating a small Fresnel lense

Forum to discuss all areas of lighthouse technology such as optics, fuels, fog signals, radiobeacons, daymarks, construction, etc.

Postby Hershey220 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:53 pm

I am new to this site, but not new to lighthouses. I have a small one in progress, and I am searching for a fresnel lense for the light room. Something such as a 6th, 7th or 8th order would probably be good. Not looking to make this a bright light, just one that can be seen. Does anyone have an idea where I could find a fresnel lense for this new light?

Thanks
Hershey220
Hershey220
Visitor

Postby alchunb » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:26 am

Your best bet would be to find a 150mm buoy lamp; they are relatively easy to find, somewhat affordable, and would create the effect you are looking for. Odds of finding a genuine Fresnel lens are about zip; they just don't come up for sale often, and when they do, the price is usually astronomical.
alchunb
Visitor

Postby NoahG » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:28 am

I'd contact the Michigan Maritime Exchange and see what they can offer

http://www.lighthouselens.com/
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby Hershey220 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:27 pm

Thank you for the suggestions - I will look into both locating buoy lights and also the Michigan Museum. I previously used large plastic fresnel lenses, but as you well know when the sun gets involved, they turn yellow.
Hershey220
Visitor

Postby MontaukPoint » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:29 am

Hershey220 wrote:I am new to this site, but not new to lighthouses. I have a small one in progress, and I am searching for a fresnel lense for the light room. Something such as a 6th, 7th or 8th order would probably be good. Not looking to make this a bright light, just one that can be seen. Does anyone have an idea where I could find a fresnel lense for this new light?

Thanks
Hershey220

Hi Hershey,

Building your own lighthouse? Sounds like a neat project. Please post some pictures :D

Alan
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby MikeHackworth » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:40 am

Hershey - Try the internet (eBay in particular). Good quality Fresnel lens do not come up often but they are out there. I sometimes search for months before something of interest pops up (currently looking for a Chance Brothers burner). Good luck. Mike
MikeHackworth
Visitor

Return to Lighthouse Technology