|

Point Retreat Light near Cedar Point

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:53 pm

This particular light is located on a small peninsula that juts South-East off Cedar Point Road, and can be accessed from Cleveland Road (U.S. 6), just to the East of Sandusky, Ohio. From the highway, follow Cedar Point Road first North, and where it turns sharply to the NW is the Point Retreat condominium complex. You may enter, but there is really not a good angle to photo the entire light from within the complex. The best spot is along Cedar Point Road just about a quarter-mile or so before you get to the complex. In the photo, you will see there is a break in the trees that will allow a full-length zoomed shot. I used my Tamaron 500 for this, but had it dialed down to about 400m. I also could get an acceptable shot with my 300 m. lens. There is this one narrow area right in front of one of the trees along Cedar Point Road. Do exercise care not to slip on the medium-sized rocks and fall into the drink. (No, I didn’t fall in)…..

The Point Retreat Light is awfully hard to find information on. I first saw it on a Flicker Photo last year, when the tree growth was considerably less. The photo was not zoomed, and taken from the roadway in early 2008. The only things I have been able to ascertain is that the light was built in 2007, is appx. 70 feet tall, and does have a light source in the tower. I am assuming that is being used as a private AToN, as there is a launch just to the East of the light, and a small privare Marina to the North-West. Point Retreat has a website, and while you can clearly see the light from a water photo there, the site touts the condos with no information about the light itself.
Attachments
Point Retreat.jpg
Near Cedar Point
Point Retreat.jpg (99.6 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
Last edited by CHUCKX53 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Grover » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:25 pm

Chuck ...

70 feet is a substantial private light .Thanks for the shot and the info
"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby CHUCKX53 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Found a real cool picture from inside the complex on Big Huge Labs.......

http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=4354804863

Also, from Waymarking.com.......

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2H8A_Point_Retreat_lighthouse_Sandusky_Ohio
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby CHUCKX53 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:07 pm

Maybe the Lake Erie Excursion would be able to capture some photos from the water...?

Some Google Earth maps for the location.....
Attachments
GE Cedar Point RESIZE.jpg
Cedar Point Area
GE Cedar Point RESIZE.jpg (22.62 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
GE Point Retreat RESIZE.jpg
Point Retreat Location
GE Point Retreat RESIZE.jpg (45.26 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses