|

Cleveland Area Trip

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby wheland » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:21 am

Esther and I are probably taking a trip to the Cleveland area next weekend. We were in cleveland and saw many of the nearby lights a few years back.

We'll be taking US 6 through PA and hopefully stopping at the Eire, PA area lighthouses on the way to Cleveland (as well as those lights between Eire and Cleveland).

We may take the Goodtime III cruise of the harbor if we have time.

Here's my basic questions for those out there who have done this area -

1. Can you get to the Cedar Point LH without paying to enter the amusement park and if so how and where is it visible?

2. Can you access the grounds at Marblehead LH if the LH is not open?

Thanks in advance.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:42 pm

As I remember, we had to drive through the entrance to the amusement park to be able to access the Cedar Point Light, but.....We told them at the gate that we were only going to see the Lighthouse, and not the park proper. We were charged $8, but told that it would be refunded to us upon our exit. We actually got back $7 refund on leaving. Bear in mind this was in 2001, and as I got excellent photos that first time, and I haven't tried accessing the park since that time, so I don't know what their policies are now. There are small cabins around the light, as you can see on the picture on the top of this promotional page from Cedar Point......

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/resorts/hotels/lighthouse_point.cfm

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=659

As to Marblehead, I never had any problems accessing it, whether the Lighthouse / Keeper's House was open or not, as the whole site is owned by the Ohio DNR, and is in fact, Marblehead Lighthouse State Park. Discover Ohio has the park hours listed as 6 AM - 11 PM for the grounds. As you can tell from these photos, there is a picket fence around the Keeper's House, but not the light.

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=278
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby wheland » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:45 am

I thought- from reading the same sites others have mentioned- that Marblehead would be no problem. Just wanted confirmation from somebody who has done it - especially recently.

Cedar Point was a bit more problematic and I've gotten no response from anybody who has done it recently and I've gotten a response that indicated the person was not allowed in.

I'll try giving the place a direct call and see what they say .

Thanks for the response.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Grover » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:13 am

Dennis ...

I was at Marblehead mid August ... spent the day at Put in Bay,
spent sunset at Marblehead ... very pretty, very very crowded.
"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby wheland » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:16 am

Grover wrote:Dennis ...

I was at Marblehead mid August ... spent the day at Put in Bay,
spent sunset at Marblehead ... very pretty, very very crowded.

We won't be getting to Put In Bay this trip. I did get a response from somebody who did the Cedar Point trip recently- hopefully we'll be able to duplicate it.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:29 pm

If you do, could you let us know ?...I might re-visit Cedar Point next year and would like to go out there again.....I was at the Point Retreat light on the South-East side of the Cedar Point Peninsula in May, but didn't go into the park as we were on a tight schedule.

While you're up there, you can see the Point Retreat light for yourself.....Information is on this thread from my trip there....

http://www.lighthousing.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10280

Marblehead does have quite a few people there....I got lucky on our 7th trip out there, a Sunday early afternoon that found us all alone....Perfect picture weather, spent a half hour doing shots. Right when I got done, this huge wedding party pulled in, all dressed in Tux & Gown....Bride in full wedding dress.....In no time at all, the place was full of people, ready for a lighthouse wedding.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Terry_Pepper » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:24 pm

I was last at Cedar Point in early October 2009. Drove up to the main gate and told the security guard that I had driven all the way from northern Michigan to photograph the lighthouse. She told me to go ahead and drive on through. I stopped by and thanked her on the way out.
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby wheland » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:50 am

Terry_Pepper wrote:I was last at Cedar Point in early October 2009. Drove up to the main gate and told the security guard that I had driven all the way from northern Michigan to photograph the lighthouse. She told me to go ahead and drive on through. I stopped by and thanked her on the way out.

Thanks. I'll try that- except I'll say we drove from NJ.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses