|

Heceta Head Lighthouse Restoration

A forum to discuss lighthouses on the West Coast Region of the US
(California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii)

Postby CStomp1 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:58 pm

I'm new to this board and wanted my first post to be of some value. I'm from the Chicago area and just completed a tour of almost every Oregon lighthouse this past weekend. I'm happy to report that Heceta Head is scheduled for a major restoration beginning around July 1, 2011. While there Sunday, I managed to get a tour from a state park staffer. While checking out the tower, I noticed hunks missing from just under the walkway. In addition, there were markings on the tower with many H's and S's penciled right onto the facing. The staffer said an inspector removed the hunks in analyzing how much work needs to be done, and they marked up the tower for areas that will need work.

It was a hectic but very inspiring weekend. Umpqua River was fantastic. Got to stick my head in its unique first order lens, signed a petition to keep it going, and came back in pitch black to see that amazing lens in action.

However, for whatever reason, Yaquina Head was my favorite site. Just an immaculate park area with that beautiful tower dominating.

Also saw Cape Meares in an absolute gale of a storm on Saturday. The tower is completely surrounded by scaffolding, which I assume has to do with the recent vandalism.

Just an incredible trip.
CStomp1
Visitor

Postby Grover » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:50 am

Thanks for sharing ... your joy and good times shine thru
your post ...

If you have pictures please share them as he Northwest is
a goal of mine and would appreciate seeing what Ive managed
to miss so far.

Question ... did you like the picture post card setting or
the site of the light in the gale better?
"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby CStomp1 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:17 am

Thanks, and I'll post some photos when I get home, as I'm out here on business.

I still have to say Yaquina Head was my favorite. Maybe it was because I arrived early, it was a beautiful day, and there was hardly anyone around, so I had the light to myself. Heceta Head is picturesque for sure, but there was a large scout troop there. Actually that turned out to be a blessing as it got me a tour of the lighthouse (they let me go with them).

Cape Mears was cool in the gale, but the scaffolding around the tower took some of the luster off the visit, plus they had the immediate pathway blocked, so I could only get shots from lantern height. If you've seen other shots of the tower on the web, that was pretty much most of what I could capture. The site has a much less glamorous second light that was working away.

Umpqua River had the nicest people running the museum and tour. They also provided great advice for me finishing up the trip that day as I was racing the clock (and daylight) since it was the first day of daylight savings time.

I'll be returning with my wife someday - this is a must trip for lighthouse aficionados.
CStomp1
Visitor

Postby CHUCKX53 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:05 pm

Chris, check your Inbox....If my messages didn't make it to you, contact me via Email in my profile.

Chuck.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Return to West Coast Lighthouses