|

Report Of Pending Construction Of Dunlop Reef Replica Light

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:06 pm

It is being reported in the November issue of Lighthouse Digest that a replica of Dunlop Reef Rear Range Light is being planned for construction......

"It has been announced that the Door County Maritime Museum is going to build a replica of Sturgeon Bay’s long lost Dunlop Reef Rear Range Lighthouse. The exact scale of the new replica has yet to be determined, but the structure is expected to be completed over the winter months and will be on display at the Door County Maritime Museum in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. For more information, you can visit their website at www.dcmm.org"

The rest of the story centers on the past keepers of the Dunlop Reef Lights. However, I can find nothing on the Door County Maritime Museum website about this. The only thing I could find after searching the web was this one-line item from a meeting of the City of Sturgeon Bay Common Council...

COMMON COUNCIL
August 17, 2010

"Local Arts Board recommendation re: Remove the ship hull and replace it with a Dunlop's
Reef lighthouse replica on City property near the Door County Maritime Museum."

If anyone has any other news or details on this project, it would be welcome...... :?:
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby NoahG » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:25 pm

Apparently the house, sans tower, still stands:

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/ ... apReef.htm

Also a replica already exists:

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=637
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:43 pm

Yeah, I've seen, and photographed, the original house in person. And I already knew about the model. What they are proposing here, looks like, is a replica house, I think....Although it mystifies me as to why want to build it over the winter (when it's cold up there), and why there is no announcement on their website.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby CHUCKX53 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:15 am

Looking at that Aug. 17 memo of the Common Council, It does make sense that the model may be the 'Replica' that is refered to there.

I'm wondering if this is not still another instance of mis-reporting by LHD. The quote above was all that was included in the story. This doesn't make sense to me, as the quote states that the structure was "Expected to be completed over the winter months", and quite obviously, the model has already been built, and is, in fact, being shown on Lighthouse Friends.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Terry_Pepper » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:31 am

In an email conversation earlier this week with Bob Desh, Executive Director with the Door County Maritime Museum & Lighthouse Preservation Society, he indicated that it will be a new structure. It will be a scale replica, with the exact scale yet to be determined, and based on the space available.Their plan at this point is to begin construction of some components (windows, lantern, etc.) this winter, and undertake construction on site next year.
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:35 pm

So...This appears to be a real project after all.....Thanks Terry !
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses