|

The New Beacon Is Here !! The New Beacon Is Here !!

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the US Great Lakes Region
(Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and the lake lighthouses of New York & Pennsylvania)

Postby CHUCKX53 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:38 am

I am in Lighthouse Hog Heaven......In my mail Tuesday, My new summer edition of "The Beacon" arrived. As promised, there was a great article about the Gary Breakwater Light ("Steel In The Sand Dunes - The Gary Harbor Breakwater Light"), and much more....A history of U.S. Steel's involvement in the area, from the leveling of the sand dunes, digging the channel, building the breakwalls (and extentions), constructing the town (now city) of Gary, and the Lighthouse itself.....Complete with photos from the period, some which I've never seen before.

As some might suspect, the Gary Breakwater light is just about what I would consider my favorite light, as evidenced by my Avatar to the left (¬), mostly, I think, because of all the trouble it took me to get out there in 2006 (another story for another time !), and in fact it is the closest Great Lakes light to me where I live (120 miles away). Although I have only been to the Light just that once, it stands out in my memory, along with a few others, as the one of the most difficult for me to get out to over this past decade. And, besides, I just really think that it has a cool design. I look forward to celebrating it's 100th year in 2011.

A big thanks to our very own Terry Pepper for yet another fine story. I look forward to more of the same in coming issues. A bonus was the other fine story ("Lost Lights Of The Great Lakes"), by the most eminent Wayne Sapulski....And a 'Part 1', no less....which means there will be more parts to come !

Oh, No !!!! I just realized......It's going to be a whole 3 months before I get my next 'Beacon' !!!! 8O
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby NoahG » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:02 am

Argh! You got yours already! I'm still waiting.

Also, it was due in July, but I know some delays set it back to August. Can we expect the next Beacon on time in October?
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby Terry_Pepper » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:10 pm

Thanks for the kind words Chuck. This summer is hectic in the GLLKA office with so much going on, and available time to work on the issue was elusive to say the least - thus the late shipment. Hopefully, I can get the next one together by the end of September!
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:48 pm

Well worth the wait, Terry.....I do enjoy your articles on the Indiana Lights, and maybe Buffington and Calumet are in the future ? I didn't even notice the summer isue was 'late', had a busy one myself....If the fall issue was out, say in late October, it could allow for coverage of the Festival, and that would be alright.....Plus give you the extra time you need.....And I don't mind waiting, long as I get the Beacon by, say, Thanksgiving, I'm good here !.... :D
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby CHUCKX53 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:06 am

And just in time !!

Yesterday, my Fall 2010 Beacon arrived in the mail, and I could hardly wait to read in detail about the continuation of the “Lost Lights Of The Great Lakes” articles by Wayne Sapulsli. In an excellent article, He wrote of the history of Calumet Harbor and the many lights that have populated the area. And then, bonus articles of the Dunlop Range Lights, and 3 lost Canadian lights, Bamford Island, Peter’s Rock, and Lake Erie’s Middle Island Light. As always, the text kep me spellbound as the history of these places were revealed.

Then, on to the next pages, was an excellent article by Terry Pepper on the mystery of the size and shape of the Birdcage Lantern at Bailey’s Harbor. Having seen the other two Birdcage Lights (Waugoshance and Selkirk), I had also wondered why it had been built so tall and thin. Another couple of interesting short articles about possibly restoring the barn at McGulpin Point and “Born In A Barn” were enjoyable reading as well.

Four times a year, I look forward to receiving my “Beacon” and am never disappointed. Thanks, Guys.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Terry_Pepper » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:27 am

It's our pleasure Chuck.

We will be featuring a "lighthouse update" article on most of the lights around the Great Lakes in the winter issue - what they have accomplished, and what they plan. I also have a couple more "off the beaten path" articles in the works!
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby NoahG » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:25 pm

Oh man, can't wait till I get home in Michigan tomorrow and can pick up my Beacon.
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:28 am

Sitting in my gloomy snowy wastelands deep in January, Balmy days on the lakes seem far away.....When, to my mailbox does arrive a glimmer of sunlight....The new Beacon has arrived !

Articles about Outer Island, Crisp Point, Cheyboygan FR, Braddock Point, and 42 seprate udate articles on Great Lakes Lights that I have visited over the past decade, written by those who work to man and preserve them.

What a mid-winter treat this is ! Just the thing to chase the Winter doldrums away for awhile and dream of the Lighthouse Spring and Summer to come........ :mrgreen:
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:44 am

Ahhhh !!! My new Beacon arrived last week, with some really great articles.....My favorite is Part 3 of Wayne Sapulski's "Lost Lights Of The Great Lakes", featuring Poverty Island, a light that I've been out to twice, viewing it by boat. It's such a sad place, with no hope of any kind of restoration or even preservation in sight. This once-proud light, a virtual duplicate of the lights at St. Helena, Sturgeon Point, and Tawas Point, is now close to being on it's deathbed from continued neglect over the past 53 years.

The article continues with the many Tail Point Lights over by Green Bay, the tower of the original still standing, where I was fortunate enough to be able to go to the island a few years back and stand inside the tower itself. Then, the long lost lights of Little Rapids Cut and Au Sable Pierhead, and the ruins of the Scotch Bonnet Light.

Great articles by Jeff Shook on 'The Lights Of Muskegon", and by Larry Wright "The Lights Of Parry Sound", a look at Seul Choix and the Detour Reef Foghorn and history, plus a look at the early construction of Gray's Reef and a poem "This Rock" by our very own Terry Pepper round out the Spring issue.

First Class all the way, as always. Thanks, Guys. 8)
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby CHUCKX53 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:30 am

A little late in posting, but my summer 2011 Beacon arrived about six weeks ago, packed chock full with more great articles......Story of Pilot Island, A trip to Menagerie Island, both with photos, A picture report of the removal of the Radiobeacon from Grays Reef....Which I didn’t even know had happened ! (Now all my photos will be ‘Historic’, Ha, Ha).....

Excursion Reports of St. Mary’s River, Northern Lake Erie, Northern Lake Michigan, and an article ‘Back in Time’ about Lansing Shoal with lots of pictures more than 50 years ago....Another great read from cover to cover. Terry and Staff have put together another great issue ! :yay:

Anybody who is interested in the Great Lakes should be subscribing to “The Beacon”.....It’s the best Mag on the Lakes ! :D 8)
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:35 am

Another fine issue, for Fall 2011. Planned excursions to the Islands of Lake Superior, Bruce Peninsula, and Eastern Lake Ontario for next year....A long read of the Lights of the Bruce Peninsula by Larry Wright, a recap of the St. Mary's River tour with plenty of pictures, a report on the first season of Harbor Beach Lighthouse tours, the October re-lighting of the Ogdensburg Lighthouse, and my personal favorite article.....Forgotten Lights of the Kalamazoo River, masterfully told by our very own Terry Pepper.

Keep up the good work, GLLKA, and much success in 2012 !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Return to Great Lakes Lighthouses