|

Great Catian Island

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the New England Region of the US
(Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont)

Moderator: vacastle

Postby Grover » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:39 am

"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:12 am

Would that be considered a screwpile?
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:55 am

This is dock or wharf piling.

This lighthouse; Construction was virtually complete by May 1905. It sat on a platform measuring 50 feet by 80 feet; the platform itself was built on 117 piles driven 15 feet into the sand. The building was an octagonal structure measuring 62 feet by 28 feet. It was painted white with light green trim.

The building included a 27-foot addition on the east end of the platform with a large wood room and a porch on each side. The kitchen and dining room were immediately adjacent to the addition, in the east half of the building itself.

A smaller addition on the west end of the building's first floor housed the engine room, and contained the boiler for the heating plant as well as the engine for the foghorn. The horn was also in this room and stuck out of the wall on the outside of the building. The second floor (though the building is typically described as one-and-a-half stories) had three small rooms and a storeroom.

The light tower was 29 feet above the first floor, about 10 feet in diameter, and had a circular balcony. The station's water was provided by two 3,000-gallon tanks on the lighthouse's east side that were filled by rainwater from the roof.

The light was a fourth-order fixed Fresnel lens, and the horn was a third-class Daboll trumpet.

island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:43 pm

The first screwpile in America was Brandywine Shoal in NJ and looked just like that.
From lighthousefriends.com:
By 1858, a network of sixty-eight interconnected iron piles encircled the lighthouse.
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:07 am

I wonder who designed this structure.

George Meade and Hartman Bache
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:20 am

Yeah, I wonder too. The lighthouse itself is very odd-looking. I can't find any information on who designed it, only who built it.
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:05 pm

It looks like it was designed by a committee the members of which never gathered to meet.

Inventor of the screwpile.Alexander Mitchell (1780-1868): Belfast's blind engineer (blind since age 22). Alexander’s family were very concerned about his safety, as he went out in all weathers to examine his work, oblivious to the dangers of traveling in a small boat in rough seas, stepping onto and climbing a ladder onto a half-built lighthouse, a hazard even to anyone with sight. A few times he did fall into the sea; once, when going to the lighthouse in Belfast Lough, he fell over the side but came up at the other side of the boat, ‘cool and collected, with his hat lost but his stick in his right hand’, as his son later recalled.
http://www.historyireland.com/volumes/volume14/issue3/features/?id=324
island
Lt. Commissioner

Return to New England Lighthouses