|

LH Sightings In A Movie - Moonrise Kingdom

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the New England Region of the US
(Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont)

Moderator: vacastle

Postby wheland » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:03 am

Esther and I went to see a movie called "Moonrise Kingdom" yesterday and it's set on a fictitious New England Island - New Penzance Island.

It was actually filmed in various parts of Rhode Island. They used Conanicut Island LH as the house for one of the main characters. They added a lantern room for some shots. They also showed briefly Castle Hill LH. There was a third LH shown that I did not recognize and cannot find in any of the New England states so I suspect they made that one themselves.

The map of the island was actually a map of Fisher Island, NY in LI Sound. The third lighthouse is not any of those in NY either.

The movie itself was the story of two troubled 12 year olds who run away and the adventures that ensue with parents, police , scoutmasters and social services searching for them as a hurricane approaches.

It's a bit strange at times and even a little bit creepy at times but generally well acted - especially by the two main characters. The adults are played by the likes of Bruce Willis, Frances McDormand, Bill Murray, Edward Norton, Tilda Swinton, Bob Ballaban and others.

I'd give it 2 1/2 stars.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby island » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:48 pm

island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:24 am

It was Point Judith, RI. It just had a different paint job than it normally does.
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby wheland » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:31 am

tinypiney wrote:It was Point Judith, RI. It just had a different paint job than it normally does.

How did you determine this ? I believe you are correct- just wonder how you came to this conclusion.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby tinypiney » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:45 pm

I just recognized the lighthouse straight off. Also, it was filmed in the Narragansett Bay area of RI and I think gives credits to the Coast Guard Station Point Judith in the end credits. Here's a picture comparison (although I couldn't find a photo of the lighthouse in the movie):
Attachments
rsz_2untitled.png
rsz_2untitled.png (162.05 KiB) Viewed 5091 times
img9633509.jpg
img9633509.jpg (174.2 KiB) Viewed 5091 times
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby wheland » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:53 pm

The LH seemed familiar to me but I didn't look far enough- I did go to Lighthousefriends.com and clicked on the Point Judith link but the photo didn't show the other buildings.

If I had gone a bit further on the page I would have seen them and would have gotten the same conclusion you did.

I did see that in the end credits- and also went to the IMDB site to check where it was filmed. Point Judith was not listed there.

What did you think of the movie ?

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby tinypiney » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:00 am

At first I couldn't decide if I liked it, but a few days later I decided I did - there was nothing wrong with it and I thought it was really funny.
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby wheland » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:36 am

tinypiney wrote:At first I couldn't decide if I liked it, but a few days later I decided I did - there was nothing wrong with it and I thought it was really funny.

I basically felt the same way. It helped reading some of the views of others on the IMDB site- it gave me a bit of perspective that I hadn't gotten on my own.

Basically it helps to think of the storyline from the viewpoint of a young person telling a story in a non-literal and idealized way. Taking that into account takes away the creepy aspect for the most part.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby tinypiney » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:29 pm

That's a great way to put it... when I think about it that way, I really have no problem with it. And I did think it was kinda creepy when I saw it. It's just a fun little movie, though.
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Return to New England Lighthouses