|

From Inside the Milky Way

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby BMR » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Playing a little catchup I found this perspective inducing photo

"This lovely shot was taken by Mike Salway, an amateur astronomer and photographer living in Australia. He shot this at Cape Leveque in northwestern Australia, on the coast of the Indian Ocean. It’s a single 30 second exposure, which was enough to show the Milky Way without overexposing the lighthouse. I like the way the tree reaches in and how the branches are lit. It’s funny how it looks like the Milky Way is coming out of the lighthouse."
There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
No one knows how many humdingers there are in a lollapalooza.
BMR
Keeper

Postby MontaukPoint » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:42 pm

Nice find Barry. I find it surprising that he did that in one exposure -- it looks like a merge of two photos (one exposing the milky way properly and the other exposing the lighthouse properly) -- but I'll take his word for it.
-----
Lighthousing.net Administrator

Lighthouse Photography and More:
http://www.alanbotphotography.com
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby island » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:04 am

There seems to be an unusual amount of low sunlight from the left side of the images brightly illuminating the light tower and the branches the tree.

island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby MontaukPoint » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:53 pm

Some of the long exposure photographers use spotlights and floodlights to illuminate various features. It spossible this fellow did the same. But the bigger question is why are the lighthouse and sky both exposed properly? I've done night long exposure night shots before and have run into a few issues:

-Any light source in the photo usually 'burns out' the background (detail is lost around bright spots). In this photo, the lantern is obviously very bright, but the sky around it is still exposed properly.
-Getting the night sky and an object in the foreground exposed properly is very difficult. As anyone with a telescope knows, light pollution will greatly degrade an image. On this topic, the milky way in the background seems too sharp to be taken near a bright light source.

Nice photos anyway, but I think its a good editing job or a HDR (merge of several different exposures to get a maximum dynamic range)
-----
Lighthousing.net Administrator

Lighthouse Photography and More:
http://www.alanbotphotography.com
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Return to Lighthouse Photography