|

Canadian Lighthouse Video

A forum to discuss lighthouses in Canada, Australia, Europe and Asia.

Postby island » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:35 pm

When searching for photos of the old light apparatus of Cape Bonavista I happened upon this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=gj64r_N9Vlc
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby BMR » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:12 am

Thanks for finding this ... I watched ... twice (so far!)
There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
No one knows how many humdingers there are in a lollapalooza.
BMR
Keeper

Postby island » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:49 pm

Would have been helpful if the various lights were identified. I am not all that familiar with lights in Canada.

And there are other really neat videos in this you-tube group.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby MontaukPoint » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:25 pm

A lot of those lighthouses weren't even in Canada. The one at the end was Pigeon Point in (California?).
-----
Lighthousing.net Administrator

Lighthouse Photography and More:
http://www.alanbotphotography.com
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby tinypiney » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:56 pm

Here's my lowdown:

First one (the yellow one) is in Iceland. The one after I believe is in Italy. Then there's Peggy's Cove, and the next one I am pretty sure is not in Canada. Then there's Peggy's Cove again. Then the next one looks like maybe it's in Scotland (note the sheep). The one after it I don't recognize but looks like it could be Canadian. Then Peggy's Cove appears for a third time, and then Pigeon Point. After that it's North Head, in Washington. Peggy's Cove is then shown for a fourth time. The image after that one doesn't even look like a lighthouse to me. Then there's another from Scotland (either Scotland or Ireland). I can't identify the next but it looks very Portuguese. Then (after the painting) is Pigeon Point again, in a similar photo. The fourth one repeats itself, and then there's yet another shot of Pigeon Point. The next one to come is surely in Iceland (they have all the yellow lighthouses), and the one after it looks Canadian. The painting that comes after is of Pigeon Point (yet again) and a what appears to be another photograph of the lighthouse. The next is Portland Bill in England. After that is Heceta Head. The pole light after it is so generic that I can't tell, but it definitely has the Canadian color scheme. Pigeon Point then makes a final appearance, and finishes up with the light from the fourth photograph.

So, I can only confirm that one, but possibly up to four, lighthouse is from Canada. Hope this was informative :)
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:57 pm

Not bad. There is one that appears three times that you did not mention or perhaps it is the one not identified that you didn't think look like a lighthouse. Old Gardur in Iceland does not look like a lighthouse but it appeared three times; at 0.24, 1.3l and at the lower left corner of the final page.

Sherlok
Attachments
1341_04_61---Old-Gardur-Lighthouse--Iceland_web.jpg
1341_04_61---Old-Gardur-Lighthouse--Iceland_web.jpg (134.34 KiB) Viewed 3383 times
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:08 am

I very well did mention it, the three times it showed up (in italics):
First one (the yellow one) is in Iceland. The one after I believe is in Italy. Then there's Peggy's Cove, and the next one I am pretty sure is not in Canada. Then there's Peggy's Cove again. Then the next one looks like maybe it's in Scotland (note the sheep). The one after it I don't recognize but looks like it could be Canadian. Then Peggy's Cove appears for a third time, and then Pigeon Point. After that it's North Head, in Washington. Peggy's Cove is then shown for a fourth time. The image after that one doesn't even look like a lighthouse to me. Then there's another from Scotland (either Scotland or Ireland). I can't identify the next but it looks very Portuguese. Then (after the painting) is Pigeon Point again, in a similar photo. The fourth one repeats itself, and then there's yet another shot of Pigeon Point. The next one to come is surely in Iceland (they have all the yellow lighthouses), and the one after it looks Canadian. The painting that comes after is of Pigeon Point (yet again) and a what appears to be another photograph of the lighthouse. The next is Portland Bill in England. After that is Heceta Head. The pole light after it is so generic that I can't tell, but it definitely has the Canadian color scheme. Pigeon Point then makes a final appearance, and finishes up with the light from the fourth photograph.

I made sure I addressed all of the photos in the video, I just couldn't identify the country for all of them.
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:59 pm

There are hundreds of video clips, probably thousands, which some people put together using other people's photographs with or mostly without their permission. I have seen several of my lighthouse photos appear in other places as well as others I recognise from sites I know of such as Gary Martin's.

A typical example was a clip supposedly of scenes in the USA desert areas such as death valley and so on and included were a couple of scenes from my country, Australia. Some of these clips are really interesting and well done and others not so good.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:52 pm

I've seen a video for some travel agency that showed Portland Head for Cape Cod.
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Correction:
The light (or former light) in the image posted above is Old Garðskagi built in 1897.

The New Garðskagi was constructed in 1944, the older tower being a bit too short, less than half that of new tower, and the shore line was eroding though apparently not excessively for the structure is still high and dry. The new tower at 28.5 meters is the tallest in Iceland. The lantern, lens an clockwork was removed from the old tower.

The new light serves as a significant aid for large ships entering or leaving the port of Reykjavík.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Return to Canadian, Australian, and Int'l Lighthouses