|

Another Nordic Finn lighthouse update

A forum to discuss lighthouses on the West Coast Region of the US
(California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii)

Postby CHUCKX53 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:05 am

^ Ha, that is hilarious.... :P Is that all the Veggies you all plant up there ?

Not much snow over here this winter (8", I think), but tons and tons of rain. I could swear we have 'Boats Weather" now, so a tip of the hat to Global Warming for me not having to plow much this season around. Those almighty weather people are reminding us that a year ago today, on the first day of spring, that the temperature was 83 degrees....So today, it is just reaching 30 degrees, and no spring in sight until at least next month, all courtesy of that lying Groundhog out in Pennsylvania.

Ringing the Bell, hope all is well to both ends of the country and back here to the middle.... :mrgreen:
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby CHUCKX53 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:36 am

Well, I was a bit too hasty there....Some rogue system (probably came form the NW somewhere) dumped 10 inches of snow on us here this past Sunday night and Monday. So, Tuesday, I was out plowing all day. In the Spring. Ridiculous. :twisted:

Oh, the Humanity. And the worst ? Half of it has melted away now. :roll:
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby island » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:49 am

The only good thing about a late season snow storm is it melts, and with warm dry air evaporates, changes direct from snow to vapor, evaporation by sublimation, and often leaves the ground below bone dry. One day snow. The next day dust. Some of the lake ice likewise evaporates this way, same as ice cubes do in the freezer. I would guess spring flooding would be more severe if not for sublimation of the winter snow pack in the hills upstream.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:07 am

Well, it's been melting, abet slowly. Temps only hover around 40 F at the peak time of the day. Haven't seen any of those 'vapors', although I know what you mean. It's just still too cold for this time of year here. Temps are still dropping into the low 20s and high teens at night. We're promised a 'warmup' by Easter Weekend, but I'm skeptical....This has been the winter of everyday changing forecasts.

As for the ground drying out....The soil has been wet since last October, when all these rains began in earnest. We've had far more rain this winter than snow, and the ground here where I live hasn't had a chance to dry even the topsoil in all that time. It's so strange, especially after the mini-drought we had from June-August, where on 7 days the temps went over 100 F, and there were 36 consecutive days over 90 F. It barely rained in all that time. But since fall began, it's done nothing but. It rained far more than snowed in January & February. About a month ago, my yard was just starting to flood, and it rarely ever does that. There was just too much groundwater for it to be absorbed. Really, I haven't seen dry ground in nearly 6 months, and that's real odd.

Now, I think Boats would really appreciate this kind of wet weather. I hear tell that they love the stuff out on the west coast. But here, it's just been one big pain in the keyster. :roll:
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby island » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:33 pm

Boats and wet weather. A dry boatsman mate would be far worse than ducks out of water, but more like ducks in a desert.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:15 pm

Ok folks, I'm back on line. new computer, new old age, and a bad back, Dave your wrong I've seen ducks in the desert, then I got a drink.. Boy you better read about Windows 8 before you buy it. It's an all new game to learn. As for the lighthouse, well it's a work in progress. But hay I'm back so let me know what you all are doing. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:56 am

Welcome back Boats.
Have fun with Win 8. I have it on my second drive but I am still using 7. It's much better.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby MontaukPoint » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:10 pm

Windows 8 is a horrible piece of software. Since this is a 'family' board, I'll leave it at that.

I'm currently running Windows 7 on my computers. Its a big improvement over Vista, but still not as good as my preferred OS (Windows XP).
-----
Lighthousing.net Administrator

Lighthouse Photography and More:
http://www.alanbotphotography.com
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby island » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:50 pm

What do you prefer about XP compared to Windows 7? Reason for asking is I have XP.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby MontaukPoint » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:02 pm

XP was nice and simple. No fancy graphics to slow down your computer, no convoluted menus (if you like the Control Panel in XP, you won't like it in Windows 7 -- its completely different). I disabled most of the convoluted menus and 'safety settings' (User Accounts Control and the like). Once you do that, its much better.

XP was a simple, fast and responsive operating system. That being said, Windows 7 is a lot 'slicker'. Then again, I still use Office 2003 (and have installed it on every new computer/laptop I have owned over the past 5 years), so I might be a little biased.
-----
Lighthousing.net Administrator

Lighthouse Photography and More:
http://www.alanbotphotography.com
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:08 am

I agree with Alan about disabling things like user control but I now prefer 7 to XP. I have 2 desktop PC's here this one has Win 7 and the other has XP so I use both systems but about 80% to 20% of the time respectively.
Having been a regular user of Win 7 for several years now I must admit to preferring it to XP. The main reason being the absence of blue sscreens. It is much more stable than XP and faster. I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV etc software as I have found nearly all commercial AV programs slow down the processing time quite considerably. I have paid for and used Kaspersky, AVG, Nortons, McAfee, Eset and several others but have found MSE and little self awareness to be quite adequate. My defrag is set to operate once a week and this keeps it running smoothly. I believe a lot of problems with new operating systems is the fact that a clean install is not done to start with. I have tried both but have found a clean install creates far less problems than an upgrade.
I also have Win 8 on the second drive of this machine and I still prefer 7.Win 8 in my book is the same disaster level as Vista and I paid around $650 for Vista Ultimate when it came out and used it for a little over 12 months.
Dave, a lot of computer users including big business have stuck to XP. It is a good system but support for it will die out forcing people to upgrade. After all Microsoft is in business to make money and control the world, both of which they are doing very nicely, thank you.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:36 am

I attempted without success to help a person whose printer would not function to print from the computer, both internet display and/or from files. They have Windows 8 and the darned thing did not have the Start icon that I use on XP to access anything and all I am seeking in the computer. Turned out the printer problem ceased soon after when a major phone line outside connection problem was fixed by the phhone company. That printer would not function even when off line and the modem shut off. Phone conection?? Go figure!
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Gremlins. :mrgreen:
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:43 pm

island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:37 pm

That's the fella. Reminds me of someone............... #-o
Kevin vk2ce