|

Another Nordic Finn lighthouse update

A forum to discuss lighthouses on the West Coast Region of the US
(California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii)

Postby boats » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:44 am

:yay: I made it back on line again, Windows 8 "sucks".. so now I got the 7 running again. Not sure what to do with the 8. The darn thing is on the floor and may site there a while. Summer is doing just fine, had one day of 84, "WoW".. This morning we have Fog, And right now it's 60, my kind of summer. Ho it might rain later today, what's the N/W with out rain, "right".... Hi Kevin, how is the down under these days and what or Ya doing Mate. Dave o-boy keep the water out of the boat, hard you had a little rain. Sorry bout that.. What Say Chuckx.. Well I'd better get going, have a dinner to get too. A member of the family made Captain in the fire dept, and we will kick his ass after dinner with a fire water wet down party, after all it's the Navy way. Your turn Ya all. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby BMR » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:18 am

Hey Boats ...

Just checking in ... good to "see" you ... Despite the hurricane of last October, the NJ Shore
opened on time Memorial Day weekend and here in God's Square Mile, it was jammed for
the 4th ... so much destruction, much reconstruction ... much more to go.

Glad to know alls well on the other coast .... love a good "wet down"

Barry
There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
No one knows how many humdingers there are in a lollapalooza.
BMR
Keeper

Postby boats » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:24 pm

:D Hi there Barry & More.. "PunPon".. Summer is beaking a cake on the east coast where we are just being cool over here. The high so far here in Seabeck was one day we hit 84f, :yay: my kind of summer "A" Mates.. This morning we had Fog with a temp of 53f, Monday was 42f in the morning and fog. Sorry you like the heat Barry, but here we cool like a duck and fly like a bear, never seen a bear fly. never got that close to see one on the bear #-o .. Lot of work getting done before winter which comes fast here. next month I start setting up for Christmas display all aroung the gounds, I turn it on Thanks given night. Thanksgiving is in the day time, It's a given at night #-o .. How about of some of you folks saying a word or three on this site. Give Facebook a brake and come back to the real world. :yay: YYa make it happen. OK some ones turn.. Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:05 pm

:roll: Look here folks, Ya all didn't go to the fair at the same dame time did ya. No one made the answer up call.. Summer is about done here in Seabeck, rain is back every third day or so, fog is a given this time of year, summer was cool as we did not hit a 90 at all, most of the times it been in the 75s/83 mark. The 32f mark is at 8000 foot level. So There.. Now the Christmas stuff is out laying around the yards being put togather, Polls which or 10 &12 foot high, they get a ton of lights put on them, a few new displaces this year. Folks started asking me if I'll be ready this year, boy I hope so.. Last year I almost got rained out.. By the way all my lights or LEDs, except a few which or 9 volt.. The lighthouse didn't get much done on it this year, kind of hard as I have no help there. OK now it's your turn to answer up, who ever. Make Fast Mates. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby BMR » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:19 am

Yes Boats, I was remiss ... sustained a personal injury late May but just about fully recovered ... essentially tripped over my own feet, stumbled, and broke my shoulder blade ... a "scapular fracture" ... lesson learned is one of my age and girth does not roll on cement ... essentially we stick and stay ... Missed a lighthouse trip to Maine in June, a lighthouse cruise in July ... had plans to see "Christmas in July" at The Nubbled ... they were scrapped as well ... looking forward to the OBX in about 10 days ... I cannot wait to see your snow pictures ... Its as much a part of my holiday seasons as Andy Williams :wink:

Barry
There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
No one knows how many humdingers there are in a lollapalooza.
BMR
Keeper

Postby boats » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:51 pm

Hay Barry, #-o tell me your not getting old and your feet got bigger. Better take it easy for a while, which I think your doing already. Boy we got hit with a big rain storm yesterday, 2.5 inches in an hour, rain so hard I though the tide was coming in from above. My son is a painter for Boeing and the paint hanger had over 20 inches of water in there along with a 787. They didn't get much done yeaterday. Now as for this winter , yep we will get hit hard with snow for sure this year. Trees are losing there leves already here, ya can feel it in the air. In fact you will get hit with lots snow too, so be ready barry. And watch where your feet or going, your in charge of them "Right".. :D Little pun there.. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:05 am

REMEMBER 911. FLAGS AT HALF MAST. MAKE FAST.""Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi Boats,

The Bing desktop that I use as a home page in y browser had a wonderful photo of the 911 memorial at ground zero. It is a very impressive and thought provoking hole in the ground. I'm pleased they did not erect another skyscraper on that site and what they have done is excellent. A quite place where people can go and meditate about what might have been. That incident affected the whole world and we still feel it.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:20 pm

:D Hi Kevin, good to hear from the down under mate. Yes the 911 site is open now and is what it's suppose to be. Don't think I'll get over to see it any time soon, I have enough to take care of here. Winter is coming on fast in the North West, snow level is moving down slow and by the end of October we might see our first snow of the year. I'm getting the Christmas stuff out and about ready to get will that program, I turn it all on Thanks Giving night which is November 28th. It takes a few weeks to get it all up and running, all the lighting is LED stuff. Folks come from miles away to see my show,.. Kind of fun doing it. I've no place to go and no hurry to get there, so I do the Christmas thing. Funny thing is I'm on a road to no where, so you must know where your goig or your lost, but they find us every year.. Last year we got five foot of snow, gee I hope we get less this year, but I think we're in for a big one this time. My best to Ya Kevin, make fast mate. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby JeffCurtis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:10 am

boats wrote::D Good Morning, fine Navy day here in the North/West part of Washington State, and and fine day in California. Well if Ya have web feet your in luck, both states got the rain train coming in full on. For us that's normal, but California is getting a little more then they wanted all at once. To bad the down under don't get a normal amount of Rain, Kevin.. What say you, Mate. I have most of the Christmas stuff out but I keep getting rained out, still laying power lines and the rain runs me in, so testing the lines is out for now. All the Christmas lights are LED, so power use is about 1/10th the power I used a few years ago. Last year my bill was $23.00 bucks, years ago it was over $200.00 Bucks. Ya Got to love Christmas, "Right". Keep it down out there. OK, Now the rest of you folks that read and say nothing, log in and at least say Hi to us that stayed in the train station even if we knew the train left a long time ago. :roll: "What did he say".. So make fast all ye Bell Ringers. "Boats"..

Christmas flavor is getting back now.. I know it is bit early but my kids are getting excited.. Looking to have grand Christmas celebration.:)
JeffCurtis
Visitor

Postby boats » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:59 pm

:D Welcome aboard mate. so you made your first post with me, happy to hear from new folks. JeffCurtis is it, where is the home port Jeff. And you have kids, good on you. All my bunch or gone on there own many years now. Christmas is a big deal here where we live, we're about 13 miles out in the forest near the Hood Canal, Washington State. I put on a big light show every year for all the folks that live out my way, it's word of mouth for us about what we do, I have fun doing it, in fact I started getting stuff up now. I turn it all on Thanks Given Night, Given is after the dinner of course, but I keep adding up to Christmas eve. The weather is the problem at times, we get about 60/72 inches of rain a year plus the snow come on just before Nov 28th of course. There is snow on the Olympic Mountains just across the Hood Canal from us now. It's a one man working party getting the lights up and around the place, about 2500 feet of lighting and all the blow up toys I have. All lights or LED excep for one light, it's old school.. I hope you get your lights up to Jeff, kids love the lights, I was a kid once, I remember the old stuff we had back in the 50s/60s. Well now Jeff let me hear back from Ya and have a goo week. :yay: Thanks for coming on board.. "Boats".. Al..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby MontaukPoint » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:25 pm

JeffCurtis wrote:Christmas flavor is getting back now.. I know it is bit early but my kids are getting excited.. Looking to have grand Christmas celebration.:)

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the forums. Feel free to contribute anywhere you wish.

We're at a bit of a low right now (more of a knowledge repository as opposed to the forum), but every new member is a step in the right direction!
-----
Lighthousing.net Administrator

Lighthouse Photography and More:
http://www.alanbotphotography.com
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby island » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Maine Sunrise;

For you Boats being out there on the wrong coast I am reminded of something back several years ago. A Coast Guard guy who had lived on the west coast most of his life and served out there in Oregon was transfered to Maine and assigned to the light. Soon after he arrived I encountered him at the dock. I asked him how he was doing and he said not too good. He could not adjust to the sun rising over the ocean and setting over land. So I told him I would let him in on a secret. The sun here comes up over the Gulf of Maine and when it does it bathes the land, the plants, the critters and the people in fresh sun energy. Maine gets first dibs. As the sun proceeds west its energy slowly declines and when it finally reaches the west coast it is nearly gone. He said you folks in Maine must be nuts. I told him that was true as was the sun story. Someime later I encountered him on the island and asked how things were for him. He said really fine and he wanted to mention the sun story I had told him earlier. He told me he now often gets up early and stands outside to watch for sunrise and when it comes up he feels that sun energy unlike anything he had experienced out of the west coast so he now knew what I had told him was true.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:25 am

I guess that explains why most Australians live on our East Coast. Good thinking Dave. :yay:
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:49 pm

I do no take for granted that I am fortunate to have that place on the island that is more my home than any other place I have resided. There I have a perfect view of each and every sunrise (except for during fog or heavy cloud overcast). The disappointing part of this is in the later half of the year the the sun rises further and further south as the summer ends and with the onset of winter when I am compelled to move off the island until the following spring. This also serves to remind me, although I do not dwell on this, there will come a day sometime in the future when I will no longer be able to return to my island home.

One lives on offshore islands with a continual awareness of the impending weather and tides and the weather can get down right nasty for several day at a time in the winter months. Not that I could not live there comfortably in winter but access only by my boat becomes rather difficult at times and not possible, or extremely and unnecessarily risky at other times. From my island living experience I have a fair conceptual understanding of what life was really like for lightkeepers and their families in years gone by and no doubt view lighthouses somewhat differently, in a different perspective than do many others.
island
Lt. Commissioner

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Lighthouses