|

Another Nordic Finn lighthouse update

A forum to discuss lighthouses on the West Coast Region of the US
(California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii)

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:49 pm

Dave, you are very fortunate to have been blessed with the opportunity to live the way you do. No doubt it didn't happen by chance but was planned that way. The life of a keeper must have been extremely difficult and lonely yet possibly very rewarding as well. They were are unique breed of person that's for sure.
Thanks for that insight into your island sojurn.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:22 am

How this happened was shortly before my grandfather retired from the lighthouse he purchased the land with the house that was in very poor shape from a guy who was desperate for money to pay a fine, a guy who would not make good on loan. My grandfather with the help of some of the guys at the island Coast Guard life-boat station extensively repaired the house although he did not intend to live there but to stay there for short periods when he took up lobster fishing following his retirement. The house is essentially the same inside and out as when it was constructed in 1888. I have replaced the clapboard and shingle siding and the roof shingles on both the house and shed.The only thing newer vintage is a propane stove, a 1936 propane refrigerator (runs like a charm) and a hand pump for the well which fortunately has good water and does not go dry. That house has weathered many severe northeasterly coastal storms with no damage except for an occasional broken roof shingle tab.The house has weathered by far better than I have.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:01 pm

You should write a book about it all.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:32 pm

A book has been suggested by others. Perhaps a book of a short stories on a variety of topics. Some serious and some not so serious. What one might describe as a bathroom reading book. Printed on soft 2-ply. :) I have been somewhat seriously thinking about it. But presently it is somewhere on my procrastination list. And procrastination is on my "get around to it" list that I put somewhere around here, but where. :? So finding that will be on my "to do" list. What was the subject of this reply? #-o Oh yes. Book. That's it! Yes, Kevin, you are right. Perhaps I should write a book.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:32 pm

Well now I can read that a few folks still read the post on this net, it's kind of like going fishing, you just don't know what will pop up in the water. One time while at sea I seen a submarine pop up in front of our ship, all went well cause I'm still here.. Veterans Day is November 11th,2013 in the U.S.A. The U.K. and in Canada. Remember to show the flags of all nations. If fact all Veterans across the World should be remembered. God gave us the right to Pray for Peace. Too remember the past is a lesson on what not do again. "Now" Did we learn the lesson.. Make fast Mates, keep it down.. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:46 pm

11th November is Remembrance Day here too Boats. At 11am on 11th day of the eleventh month the flags are lowered to half mast and the Last Post is played by buglers all over the country while we have one minutes silence.
If we had learned something we wouldn't be in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Good to see you still afloat matey.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:58 pm

I note in Australia that the correct method of flying a flag at half mast as described by the Australian Army Ceremonial Manual is to fly the flag with the top corner down 1/3 of the distance to the bottom of the pole or unstated the visible distance of the pole if the bottom section of the pole is obscured by nearby objects. The flag should be prominantly and fully displayed and not partially hidden from view.

In this country the current practice is to fly the flag at the middle of the pole and more often than not without regard to nearby obstructions making the lower part of the pole and often most of the flag not visible. To me this is pathetic particularly when the flag is too big for the pole on which it is displayed.

I prefer the older method and that is to fly the flag one and one-third the flag height from the top of the pole and with the flag properly sized for the pole. Thus it is displayed with one flag space vacant above the flag. This was the older Navy and maritime method. And noting that on a ship the flag was rarely if ever displayed from a mast but either from a gaff extending from the mast or a staff at the stern. I suppose part of the problem is the correct term for such display is half staff, not half mast or and definately not half pole. Just how would one fly a flag on a ship at half the distance from the top of the mast to the deck? No way would this be done and not at the middle of a top mast above the mast below.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:39 pm

That's interesting Dave. When I was in the Scouts many years ago we were taught the correct way to do it was to position the flag one flag width from the top of the pole, much the same as you describe. I have never heard of the one third idea but that doesn't mean it isn't in practice.
The biggest flag in Australia, the one on Parliament house in Canberra always looks like it's one flag width from the top of the mast.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:27 pm

Kevin, Sorry I left the down under out of my post, but I did say the World in remembering the Vets. Now where did all the half mast stuff come in from "Dave".. On Veterans Day I fly all sercice flags at full mast on the yard arms. and the U.S. Flag on the gaff. But both the ship mast I made and a reg flag poll I have will be full of flags. Now as for the Regs on flags, the rules here at home is this.. Just get them flying A Mates.. Have a nice Veterans Day all Ya Mates all over the World.. "Boats".. :yay:
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:16 pm

I do not know where the half mast stuff came from but likely from lack of knowledge of ships and mast rigging. How could one fly any flag half way up a fully rigged mast with all that standing and running rigging on a sailing ship or on a Navy ship with all apparatus on the mast. The problem with displaying the flag at "half pole" is the pole becomes visually more prominent than the flag. It is even worse when the flag is displayed at mid pole on a pole with a cross tree and thus the flag below it.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:48 am

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-mast :-

The tradition of flying the flag at half-mast began in the 17th century,[2] perhaps to allow "the invisible flag of death" to fly at the top of the mast—which signified death's presence, power, and prominence.[3] In some countries, for example the UK, and especially in military contexts, a "half-mast" flag is still flown exactly one flag's height down from its normal position, and no lower, to allow for this flag of death. This was the original flag etiquette. It is now standard, especially outside the UK, to fly the flag at halfway down the mast regardless of the size of the flag or hoist. (For modern UK practice see below.)
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:46 pm

Regarding the UK the half-pole images of this flag on Google tell a different story from that on wikpedia. I do not know where this half-pole procedure came. I read in one place that this was because many people were sloppy when displaying the flag at full height for not securing the halyards properly thus the flag moved down somewhat below top position approaching that of the original defined half-staff position.

Below are photos of the flag displayed at the Arlington National Cemetery that are examples of the pole being more prominent than the flag and and the flag too small, not properly sized for the excessively high pole. To me it looks disgustingly crappy. There are other images on Google that are worse. If the flag can not be displayed prominently be it US, UK, Australia or whatever country, than what is the point of displaying the national flag.
Attachments
images 2.jpeg
images 2.jpeg (6.1 KiB) Viewed 4693 times
images arlington.jpeg
images arlington.jpeg (9.34 KiB) Viewed 4693 times
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:34 pm

Regarding the most disgusting displays of a national flag ------ , in my opinion Little River is the winner.
This is an insult to former keepers of this and other lighthouses.
Attachments
IMG_4616 c.JPG
IMG_4616 c.JPG (26.68 KiB) Viewed 4692 times
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:37 am

We agree on that Dave.
I did a Google search on flags at half mast and got hundreds of interesting pictures but this one is a classic of a flag too small for the pole:-
LeeHouseWithHalfMastFlag-2.jpg
LeeHouseWithHalfMastFlag-2.jpg (9.66 KiB) Viewed 4687 times
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:13 am

On the other exteme is a flag too big for a short pole and the flag dragging on the ground when flown at mid-pole half mast. Some people just go through the motions and do not look at what they are doing.
island
Lt. Commissioner

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Lighthouses